Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Re: Article - Legal Issues Boating Tarpon or Jewfi

If you take a good photo and make a big print then it might still be worth the cost of the tag. Think of it as a donation to the FWC ;D

G

·

If you take a good photo and make a big print then it might still be worth the cost of the tag. Think of it as a donation to the FWC  ;D
Or, if Jason doesn't get me out of the charge, I'll just learn to paint while serving my time and donate the "original prints" to the CCA. ;)

·
Opinicus iracibilus
2,460 Posts

How will this affect guides? Customers like pictures...
hmmm, I'll hazard a guess the FWC cares as much about that as the National Park Service cares about how the proposed changes in Flamingo will affect the guides. :cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts

This photo slipped into my e-mails today. Here's a look at the newest addition to FWC's stable. It's intended use will be confined to running down or over Tarpon Offenders for the sole purpose of enforcement.   :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm buyin a much bigger motor tomorrow...

·
01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold
1,362 Posts

saw an episode of roland martin fishing for goliath and they had disclaimer on the screen saying it was filmed prior to june 2007. reminded me of those disclaimers they run at the beginning of those dirty movies ;D.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

Sorry if I'm coming across as anti-FWC because that couldn't be further from the truth, (I vote for more officers and stricter penalties for repeat/flagrant offenders) but from all the stuff I've seen people get away with on the water/in the woods and never get a ticket, I'm of the impression a lot of these officers couldn't find a pair of t*ts in a strip club. Now they say they're gonna start checking forums and tracking down people?

I think it'd be easier for them to just watch TV, seems every week there's a show about specifically targeting Jewfish and lip gaffing them/bringing them in the boat. I believe I just saw a show with Rick Murphy taking out Gov. Charlie Crist and doing this (although I can't specifically remember if they brought it in the boat or not).

·
Registered
650 Posts

Sorry if I'm coming across as anti-FWC because that couldn't be further from the truth, (I vote for more officers and stricter penalties for repeat/flagrant offenders) but from all the stuff I've seen people get away with on the water/in the woods and never get a ticket, I'm of the impression a lot of these officers couldn't find a pair of t*ts in a strip club. Now they say they're gonna start checking forums and tracking down people?

I think it'd be easier for them to just watch TV, seems every week there's a show about specifically targeting Jewfish and lip gaffing them/bringing them in the boat. I believe I just saw a show with Rick Murphy taking out Gov. Charlie Crist and doing this (although I can't specifically remember if they brought it in the boat or not).
I saw that show and they did not bring the fish in the boat because I remember them talking about it (the whole law of not being able to take the fish out of the water). Do you really think that these shows would air anyone before the "date" that you were not suppose to take these fish out of the water. I think any, and every show would be very cautious of this. I have yet to see a show after the "date" show anyone taking a fish (tarpon or jew fish) out of the water,it would probably cause a lot of problems with that show. Especially when Charlie Christ is on the boat!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've boated both since this, i thought my tarpon (FIRST ever) was a ladyfish  :p also thought my goliath was a Gag  :p i'm species illiterate and i need glasses. JK. Sounds like a law they won't ever enforce, just want people who follow the rules to save a few fishes lives. It'd dumb to bring in 150# tarpon and #300 jewfish into a boat. I've seen pics now where people jump in the water to take there photo with there catch.

ps i've seen shows on sunsports where they boated tarpon prior and didnt adress it on the show, both tarpon bay tales and fishin the flats, all within the last month, old repeats, so old they gaffed the tarpon.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was reading the Florida Sportsman Forum yesterday and came across a thread with a picture of a warsaw grouper that some said was a jewfish? It was on the "AskThe Law" section. I was surprised at how hard it was for people to tell them apart from a photo. I have handled a good many of both fish and thought it was a warsaw right off, but sometimes a photo can be misleading. Since some are so sure it was one or the other then I say publish a good clear picture of the various fish that are similar and make it available on the internet. Then those that fish where that may catch one could print it out.

Frank_S

·
Registered
26 Posts
And here is how you mishandle a Tarpon.

We were coming back to the ramp that day and saw this guy fighting the fish in the distance. Found this on U-Tube later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_fz_Yhcno

·
Registered
27 Posts
Only thing I can find online (myfwc.com) is safe handling of tarpon. I catch a lot of juvi tarpon and they are fun to take pictures of. What I understand is, and it says plain and simple on the fwc site is that you can take a tarpon out of the water for a picture "quickly" then return it to the water safely. It never says you can not take a tarpon out of the water. I got in a huge argument with a friend on this. My understading is that you can take them out! Goliathes NO! This fish is protected. Tarpon and bonefish are alike (referring to tags and handling). People pull bonefish out of the water daily! They are not any different in respect to laws. If you want to kiss your tarpon when you catch, do so!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
48 Posts

This photo slipped into my e-mails today. Here's a look at the newest addition to FWC's stable. It's intended use will be confined to running down or over Tarpon Offenders for the sole purpose of enforcement.   :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm buyin a much bigger motor tomorrow...

Good one, I laughed out loud when I saw this!  [smiley=y-09.gif]

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
Not concerned with lawenforcement contacting me because of a photo they saw on the internet. If you are standing on the boat holding a jewfish with the time and date in the corner of the pic and sun shine sky way bridge in the back ground- yeah be worried. But the burden of proof is in the hands of the prosecution, prove when it was (statute of limitations) or prior to the reg, prove where it was international waters? Out of the U.S.? If you are not in the pic-"wasn't me" They would look pretty stupid in court with a picture from the internet of a jewfish on the deck of a boat when I can simply say it wasnt me and put atleast 10 issues of florida sportsman on the table showing boated tarpon and jewfish. I follow the regs for take and bag limits but if I want a pic of a fish that I catch then I'm getting the pic. We got checked the other day, FWC was infront of us in a pass 1/4 mile away and they flicked on the lights, we motored over to them Since we were on plane any way. all equipment was stowed and we are licensed but I don't agree with them asking to see our licenses. We were not fishing at the time and didnt have any fish on the boat. They have to witness the violation for a non felony. They only witnessed us driving a boat so a equipment check and registration check should have been the scope of that encounter. We gave them our fishing licenses and they were cool guys but it was an over reach of authority in my opinion. Some might say if you had the rods on the boat you had the intent, intent with out any further action is a thought. So they are going to lock some one up for thoughts now? Well start at the beach and lock up every guy along the entire coast because if there are bikini's around there are thoughts! ;D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Link Only Because of Restrictive Terms of Service

This article claims that state and federal guidelines prohibiting the boating of Tarpon, with out $50 kill tag affixed to the fish, and any jewfish/goliath grouper is likely to be enforce more frequently in the future. The really interesting part is that the article claims that law enforcement may be contacting people posting pictures on Internet forums :-?
this could be good for the fishery.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I'm not aware of any "regulation" that specifically prohibits boating, lip gaffing or any other presumed mishandling of tarpon, Goliath /Jewfish yes, tarpon no. So I would be interested to see the regulation in print. All I can find is recommendations for safe handling.

That said I think additional education is a good thing, but I also think the other more intangible things like fighting them too long on light tackle or the potential for shark bites are big issues too. With Sharks especially, I think just fishing for them puts them at risk of being mortally wounded. I would even debate that the risk of them getting bit by a shark is as equal or greater than the other potential risks of fatality from handling, lip gaffing, etc. With light tackle you have a choice to break one off, but with sharks you don't always see them first. So what do we do, quit fishing for them? What about not boating the fish and having a shark munch him while you're reviving it boat side? Is the marine patrol/fwc cite you for catching too big a fish on too light of tackle or taking too long to get to boat side? Some of this just seems silly and unenforceable to me.

here's all I could find about tarpon regulations in the Fl administrative code:

68B-32.003 Tarpon Tags: Required for Possession; Report; Annual Issuance; Taxidermy; Limitation on Number of Tags Issued Annually; Limitation on Number of Tags Issued to Professional Fishing Guides.
(1) No person shall take, kill, or possess any tarpon, unless such person has purchased a tarpon tag and securely attached it through the lower jaw of the fish. Within 5 days after the landing of a tagged tarpon, the person possessing it shall submit a form to the Commission (Form DMF-SL3200 (3-05), incorporated herein by reference) indicating the length, weight, and physical condition of the tarpon and the date and location where the fish was caught. Additional tags may be denied to any person or guide who fails to provide the required information.
(2) Tarpon tags are valid for the period beginning July 1 each year and continuing through June 30 of the following year or until used, whichever occurs first. Before August 15 of each year, each tax collector shall submit to the Commission all unused tags for the previous license year along with a written audit report as to the number of unused tags, on forms provided by the Commission (Form DMF-SL3210 (3-05), incorporated herein by reference). Tarpon tags are nontransferable, except for those distributed by professional fishing guides pursuant to subsection (5).
(3) Subsection (1) shall not apply to anyone who immediately returns a tarpon uninjured to the water at the place where the fish was caught. The prohibition of possession of an untagged tarpon in subsection (1) shall not apply to a taxidermist who removes the tag during the process of mounting a tarpon. The removed tag shall remain with the fish during any subsequent storage or shipment.
(4) In any license year, the total number of tarpon tags issued shall not exceed 2,500.
(5) Each professional fishing guide may purchase tarpon tags for subsequent transfer to individual customers; provided, however, that the total number of tags issued during any license year to professional fishing guides shall not exceed 1,250.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 11-30-88, Amended 11-1-89, 10-1-90, 12-4-91, 11-26-92, 11-29-93, 1-1-95, 1-1-96, 11-27-96, 11-12-97, 11-16-98, Formerly 46-32.003, Amended 3-1-05.

68B-32.004 Bag Limit and Gear Restriction.
(1) No person shall harvest more than two tarpon per day or possess more than two tarpon at any time while in or on the waters of the state.
(2) The harvest or attempted harvest of any tarpon in or from state waters by spearing, snagging, or snatch hooking is prohibited.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 1-1-98, Formerly 46-32.004, Amended 3-28-04, 3-1-05.

Some boca grande stuff.
Tarpon in Boca grande get eaten almost every time they are caught ? Other areas are fine but not boca grande. Some off the biggest tarpon and sharks hang out in that deep current . This needs to be addressed by FWC?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts