Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the Tampa area for work and hope to have some time in the evening to wade around a bit.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of wadeable areas?

I will have my 8 wt with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be driving all-around from St.Petersburg to the Hillsborough ave area.
Not looking for any spots, more of just an idea of places where I can park and walk some semi-productive shoreline.

Feel free to PM me if you rather not have information on public forum.

Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
I know the upper bay way more than I know the St Pete areas. Sorry.

Once you get beyond beach snook on foot I'm guessing down there...

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Mullet Key Bayou in Ft. DeSoto would be my choice. Near there you also have the beaches around Bunces Pass and areas you can wade off I-275 south of the Meisner Bridge.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Hey Jon..heard you on the radio the other day.
Yeah plugging Super Lure on Reel Animals. I had some time Saturday morning before I went in school to do tutoring. Listen to 97.5 at 6:35 Friday night. I'll be on from the Super Lure captain's meeting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got to Ft Desoto around 330
I headed to east beach and found a pile of mullet waded through mullet schools there for about an hour blind casting and throwing at any busting schools.
Only managed to see one redfish through out that whole shoreline mixed in with some horse mullet, he promptly swam away.

I then went down to the arrowhead picnic area and waded the mangroves until i couldn't take the mosquitoes any more(forgot to pack bug spray).
Got one lizard fish on a clouser, and had some mangroves and sheepshead following a shrimp pattern in.

Then went right across beach side by the pass and found some diving birds.
worked the bait in that area and caught a slew of lady fish until my clouser was destroyed.
Had one fish on that was pulling differently and never jumped but he popped off.

All in all i am jealous huge fishery you have there, and feel like it would take a long time to get dialed.

Thanks for your help all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
once at desoto i caught a lizardfish on a mirror lure and then dropped it on a few snook that wanted nothing to do with perfect sized mullet and they hammered that lizardfish

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm in Orlando and have the day off tomorrow, mining the forum on any ideas on areas to wade fish this time of year in the St. Petersburg area. I have a rental car and want to check out that area, so flexible on where to go. I see the info above plus have seen recommendations for Picnic Island and Weedon. Any input greatly appreciated, I have my fly rod and am happy to wade for a distance with a chance at some fish. Thanks in advance.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
With the way its been cold and blustery lately, I'm not sure I'd make the drive over from Orlando to wade around here. But if I did, I'd probably focus on the Ft Desoto area. I wouldn't bother with the beaches since the snook won't be there right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts