Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just strung up my 12wt Sage Salt to do some practice casting for Tarpon season. I maybe use this stick for 1 or 2 trips a year. I can cast my Loomis cc glx 10wt with ease. But man this 12wt is a beast. No real feel i would say and just stiff and powerful. I feel like even though my stroke is not as soulful, it blasts 80' of line like nothing, i know it can get the job done, but its not fun to cast for sure. This is the only 12wt i have ever owned so i have no reference.
Are all 12wts like this? Is that why i read 12wts are fish fighting rods and 11wts are more of a casting tarpon rod?

Does a 12wt make a big difference in the fish fight over the 11wt?

The guide i fish with in the glades likes 12wts and 10wts and not too into 11wts... so that is what i bring.

just curious.

thanks

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,628 Posts
The dynamics of heavier lines are felt by everyone at some point and just can’t be finessed.

This is the guy who won the 11wt distance casting competition held recently.

His winning cast was over 10’ shorter than one of the fellow competitors winning casts in an 8wt competition just a few weeks ago.

Hit the gym.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
The dynamics of heavier lines are felt by everyone at some point and just can’t be finessed.

His winning cast was over 10’ shorter than one of the fellow competitors winning casts in an 8wt competition just a few weeks ago.

Hit the gym.
Great Advice!

·
Registered
140 Posts
11wt is the standard tarpon rod on my skiff.
12wt preferred for super windy days, deeper higher current areas, or turbid water where big flies are more effective. Or anytime someone hooks a giant female.
10wt gets bites in clear water, light wind and bright light.
12wts certainly best for pulling on big fish, 11wt passable for most anglers, 10wt can be undergunned if a big fish eats, that last 10-15’ can be very tough as it’s harder to flip fish or pick their head up out of water..

The Salt 12s I’ve thrown were fairly “soft” in comparison to both Pro1s (especially CC) and Theorys.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Hit the gym.
Are you talking about the Big gun shootout in Tampa with the 8wt? Because David won that too... lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
26 Posts
I just strung up my 12wt Sage Salt to do some practice casting for Tarpon season. I maybe use this stick for 1 or 2 trips a year. I can cast my Loomis cc glx 10wt with ease. But man this 12wt is a beast. No real feel i would say and just stiff and powerful. I feel like even though my stroke is not as soulful, it blasts 80' of line like nothing, i know it can get the job done, but its not fun to cast for sure. This is the only 12wt i have ever owned so i have no reference.
Are all 12wts like this? Is that why i read 12wts are fish fighting rods and 11wts are more of a casting tarpon rod?

Does a 12wt make a big difference in the fish fight over the 11wt?

The guide i fish with in the glades likes 12wts and 10wts and not too into 11wts... so that is what i bring.

just curious.

thanks
It might be a fly line issue. A stiff rod will load better with a heavier line. Airflo and Rio have been the best for me and my casting style. The right line will make an enormous difference.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts