Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was glad to be able to share a day on the water with my old man. We drove down from Austin, leaving at 3am. We’re on the water by 6:45am. The water is glass and and clear. These are the mornings I dream of being out there on the flats. My dad doesn’t fish with artificials so he’s throwing shrimp on a popping cork. He hooks up with the first keeper within 5 mins of our first stop. I’m throwing a top water plug and getting a ton of blow ups but none manage to hook up. I switch to free lining gulp and get an instant hookup on the first cast. We keep a couple reds each and one trout. Everything else gets released. We managed several slot reds throughout the morning, along with couple of dink trouts. We’re off the water by noon, head into Port A, grab some lunch and few more shrimp for my dad before heading to our 2nd spot of the day. We launch at Wilson’s Cut around 3pm in search of a few crabs. The wind picks up as I’m poling over some seriously skinny water in search of crabs. We find that most of them are gone but managed to find 5 keepers. We throw out the drift anchor, as the winds are now blowing around 15mph. We drift fish the next couple of hours, managing a few more under slot reds and several trout. We’re out of the water by 6pm, home by 11. It’s a long and exhausting day but I’m happy for the time spent with him. He’s getting older and I’m not sure how many more trips we’ll get to do together, so I’m enjoying it while I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Always a great day on the water when it's spent with the guy who *likely taught you to fish, can never get enough of those.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always a great day on the water when it's spent with the guy who *likely taught you to fish, can never get enough of those.
Very true. He taught me to fish and took me fishing as a kid all the time. It’s nice being able to take him now. It hits all that closer to home as I’m now expecting a son soon. Hoping to have 3 generations on the same boat one day in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts