Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be shifting careers here in the next couple of years and was taking a look at FWC as kind of a 180 option. I know I'll be taking a major pay cut, but I more concerned about the "reality" of working for them.

Figured I would reach out and see if anyone would be willing to sit and have a beer with me to discuss the job/jobs sometime next month when I'm back in Florida?

If you have experience that you would be willing to share openly, by all means do so!

·
Registered
583 Posts
You might want to post this in the general section.
I get the odd feeling most of us on here would rather fish than work. :)
I will say that as a sworn officer of the state, your retirement benefits and pay are pretty good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2 cents, don’t think you are going to be on the water all day, having fun on a boat. Being on the water recreationally vs “working” are vastly different. Plenty of woods in our state too.

That said, if you have / want to be outdoors, go for it. Mediocre pay, less risk than other LEOs, etc.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
FWC. Wow. SO I write newspaper articles on hunting and fishing. Called FWC in Lake City to get info on Game Wardens. Called 4-5x. No reply. Left messages. Finally got a "lady on the phone" who said the Public Affairs guy might be busy. She didn't really know because his office was "in the back." I said "well I don't know if he is busy, because I'm calling on the phone, maybe his wife is having a baby for all I know." That blew it and put me on the DO NOT CALL LIST. Happened 2 years ago, still waiting on that call. No, not really waiting. The Tallahassee main office FWC people are way better, they return phone calls. My advice -- DO IT -- join the FWC and be one of the people with integrity. Lake City FWC -- keep me on your do not call list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts