Anyone Weld?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kensfl45, Feb 27, 2014.

1. kensfl45

kensfl45 I Love microskiff.com!

As a hobby? As an occupation (if so, how did you learn)? Type?

Grew up around it some, and have always been intrigued by it.

Please share some experiences.

2. Godzuki86

Godzuki86 FlounderPounder

I do. Mostly mig with gas. Can tig and stick. Just haven't practiced. I was taught by a friend that I ended up working for.

We built mud trucks (friends and I) my friend that taught me to weld and fabricate is one of the best I've ever seen. He still owns a welding company and builds swamp buggies.

This is the kind of stuff we were building.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mainly steel while doing some aluminum. I'm close to starting a lot more aluminum projects now that my mudhole days have vanished and I spend every available minute on the water.

Andy

3. kensfl45

kensfl45 I Love microskiff.com!

Cool stuff Andy. Thanks.

Darn, I posted the original in the wrong forum. Meant it for OT.

4. RTS

RTS I Love microkona.com!

Mig w/gas as part of my job. Self taught.

Bought a little TIG a couple years ago and just drug it out and started with it last week. Wish I had started a couple of years ago. ;) Like anything else, practice makes perfect but I'm already good enough with TIG that it's going to be a huge advantage in the field. :cool:

Don't buy a cheap mig. I have seen too many people fight those things when trying to learn. If you become proficient with a decent machine, you can make a cheap one work, but you won't ;)

5. Brad_M

Brad_M I Love microskiff.com!

Well this is my first post. I've lurked for a long time and decided to join last night. I want to build a skiff in the near future and thought I would read and/or contribute as much as I can in the meantime.

I've been welding for longer than I care to admit. I picked up my dads lead when I was a kid and have always tinkered with it since. I've spent to last 20 years working in a grocery store, but always welded/fabricated on the side. My old man built race cars from the chassis up, so that was quite the childhood. I took time and went to school for welding and basic metalurgy some years ago. I've since retired from Publix, took some time off and I'm now onto my next venture. I work in the office here at my new job, but I get to go tinker when I get caught up (I interviewd as a welder, but they wanted me in logistics more- which is fine as long as I get some "play time" in).

I'm certified in  MIG, TIG, & SMAW "stick" welding. I fiddled with underwater welding, but didn't finish out my cert. as it simply got too expensive and I had to quit. I'll attach some pictures of some of the stuff we do here and the things I've had a direct hand in.

These are freezers used to freeze frozen food you buy at the store. They run off liquid and gas nitrogen, basically food comes in on a belt and is submerged in a bath of nitrogen and the gas nitrogen operates the shakers. Gas nitrogen is required because oxygen from a standard compressor would condensate and freeze (this thing runs at -320* F) It's pretty cool....So here are some exhaust collectors I built along with various duct work I've done. We build these from scratch, all of it, although our main fortay and business is building saw mill equipment. Enjoy my long winded read and tight lines!

This is a booger with compound bends from square to round.

[​IMG]

Just a quick tig bead on a pipe carrying wires into the PLC panel.

[​IMG]

Two freezers, one down in working config. One up in cleaning config.

[​IMG]

6. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Those are purty Drag, welcome! Where are you located?

7. Brad_M

Thanks for the welcome Gramps-. I'm in Jacksonville, FL. I've been pimping your Hobie rebuild to some of my buddies. Nice sled you and your lady have there!

8. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Thanks drag! Selfishly I was hoping you were closer to do some custom welding ;)

9. Godzuki86

Godzuki86 FlounderPounder

Dang Drag, those are purty. Welcome to MS!

10. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Dang man! Those are some nice welds and folds. I'm always amazed by good metal work. There is some side cash for you to make on this site! Do you have a personal sheet metal break and a tube bender/ rod buster table?

11. Brad_M

Thanks guys! I do not have a brake or a bender anymore. I sure wish I did as I would love to be building some casting/poling platforms on the side. I do have a small tig machine and my trusty stick machine for beafy trailer work. I'm looking into buying a bender now, perhaps even a cheap HB one just to get by, although it's crush bend and I would prefer a mandrel bender, but those are pricy! I'll venture around the shop this morning and snap a few pics. I've been building a chain for a lumber sorter (boring and easy) but it's a distraction for now.

12. Alex4188

Alex4188 I Love microskiff.com!

I bought a Lincon welder (big sucker) to learn how to weld, I've totally melted large nuts that I just wanted to tack weld to the bolt, burned my self a few dozen times, shocked my self a few times, I am better at cutting through metal with it than welding, and got a week off of work after a trip to the ER from almost going blind from looking at the ark- oh yeah and it gives you a sunburn that will peel that night. Much respect to those who can weld- obviously it isn't for me! I need to put this thing on craigs list