Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Anyone using airbags to help dry launching?

1435 10
Picked up an Ecodiesel that the previous owner installed airlift helper bags in with a manual fill setup (no installed compressor) they will raise the back of the truck around 3.5” which I would think would be enough to drop the back of the trailer a decent amount to help launching, recovering without dunking the hubs. Has anyone tried this and had success? I can keep the hubs dry at the steeper ramps around here but not all as well as some places where there really isn’t a ramp.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· BBA Counselor
7,400 Posts
3.5" on the front of a trailer will only make maybe an 1/2" or so at the back of the trailer depending on where your axle sits. A tilt trailer, or tilt/roller bunks would be more effective.

· Registered
3,746 Posts
Question. Does your trailer sit level or already have the front up high while on hitch? Just my opinion that a level trailer, as it should be would put more hull in the water floating the boat sooner than a boat on a steep angle. Which would put more transom under water and not so much of the hull surface. I know not really related to original question. But it might raise some discussion for your dilemma. I’ve never thought of adjusting suspension to launch a boat. Just a proper trailer set up and ball at correct height.

· Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,839 Posts
Picked up an Ecodiesel that the previous owner installed airlift helper bags in with a manual fill setup (no installed compressor) they will raise the back of the truck around 3.5” which I would think would be enough to drop the back of the trailer a decent amount to help launching, recovering without dunking the hubs. Has anyone tried this and had success? I can keep the hubs dry at the steeper ramps around here but not all as well as some places where there really isn’t a ramp.
I put airbags on my old Xterra for leveling the vehicle while towing, But ended up abandoning them in place because they were a PIA to inflate and deflate every time I towed or had my tires rotated.

Considering how much air it takes to lift your vehicle you would need a portable volume tank with compressed air to do what you’re talking about without waiting for an onboard compressor.

IMO It would be easier to let out about five cranks on your winch and just jam the brakes a couple times while backing down the ramp to help dry launch your boat than putzing around with those airbags. Jus say’n.

· I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
My $0.02. If you don’t have any means to inflate them at the ramp, it’s going to be an extremely rough ride there with them jacked up, unless it’s a right down the street deal.

If you have a solid axle trailer with leaf springs, I’ve thought about putting airbags on it and cutting the springs off behind the axle to be able to drop it for beach launches.

https://www.ebay.com/i/201487279827...MIt_eymY7q5gIVAtbACh2KJQOrEAQYBSABEgLRovD_BwE

I have an ARB onboard compressor though and still have to see if there are places where I have trouble launching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.