Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i found an older super 8 reel for a good price. Does anyone use the older abels super 8. i wanna say it has a knotch to remove the spool?its in like new condition. Currently have hatch 7+ on nrx 8wt

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've called Abel , they don't refinish them anymore ,they've had too many tolerance issues i was told, the super8 is solid , I've got a bunch of the supers , can't go wrong

G

·
The only complaint that I have is that you need a screwdriver or quarter to loosen that screw to change spools. I wouldn'y worry about Abel not servicing Super 8's anymore- they're bulletproof.
Sorry, just re-read your post about refinishing not servicing. Leave the finish alone, it's got character!

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
The only complaint that I have is that you need a screwdriver or quarter to loosen that screw to change spools. I wouldn'y worry about Abel not servicing Super 8's anymore- they're bulletproof.
Actually just picked up a mint Super 8 myself. A car key or the back edge of a pocket knife works great to change spools. Moot point for me anyway since I don't have a spare spool...

I haven't fished it yet but am very impressed with the build quality so far.

G

·
Actually just picked up a mint Super 8 myself. A car key or the back edge of a pocket knife works great to change spools. Moot point for me anyway since I don't have a spare spool...

I haven't fished it yet but am very impressed with the build quality so far.
Build quality is second to none. It wasn't that many years ago that Abel was the go to reel for all serious saltwater anglers. Newcomers to the market [Hatch, Nautilis ,Galvan, Tibor, etc.] have probably taken away some of Abel's market share. Abel is/was a company owned by fishermen [Steve and Gina] and machinists [Steve]. I only say is/was because the company has been sold several times over the years [Bernie Madoff's son owned Abel for a brief time]. From where I stand, the reel /company quality has not declined.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,615 Posts
I had the same reel for a number of years and it's bulletproof.

I can count the number of times I changed the spool while fishing on 1 finger....buy it!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Newcomers to the market [Hatch, Nautilis ,Galvan, Tibor, etc.] have probably taken away some of Abel's market share.
Hahah oh man, calling Tibor a newcomer is a good one. Yall never cease to amaze me at some of the ridiculous claims on this site. Ted created the Billy Pate reel 5 years before Abel was even founded. That does not take away from the fact the OP should buy this reel and that will last many lifetimes but hey, thank you for the laugh.

G

·
Hahah oh man, calling Tibor a newcomer is a good one. Yall never cease to amaze me at some of the ridiculous claims on this site. Ted created the Billy Pate reel 5 years before Abel was even founded. That does not take away from the fact the OP should buy this reel and that will last many lifetimes but hey, thank you for the laugh.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Go for it. They are one of the best reels on the market. As for changing the spool, I stopped fussing with that years ago.

1. Use a high quality braid/get spun for backing then there isn't an issue with reel capacity (which was the main point for spool changing).
2. With loops on fly lines and in your backing its just about as quick, if not quicker, if you want to change fly lines, to swap lines as it is to change spools.

and here is the one that I came to that was the final decision maker

3. I haven't changed fly lines during a day of fishing in many many years. Typically you know the type of fishing you are going to be doing during a given trip. I much rather have multiple rods rigged for the day with the various conditions I expect to fish. I would much rather grap a rerigged rod and get right back to fishing than have to change lines (whether its by spool changes or line changes). Sure there are times when some unexpected circumstance comes up but I find those to be few and far between. And besides you are crazy if you don't have multiple rods rigged anyway as failures do happen and the last thing I want to do on the water when the fish are active is to be fussing around with gear.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
59 Posts
I have several. Other than being a tad heavier than some other counterparts (Nautilus) they are lovely reels- Easy to service, bulletproof construction, lifetime of use ahead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had my Super 8 since 2000. Still looks brand new (but it doesn't get used nearly as often as it should :)).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Great reel!! I caught lost of Bones off of a Super 8!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts