Anyone tried the new $130 fly lines out yet?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by backbone, Oct 25, 2017.

1. backbone

backbone Well-Known Member

SA and Rio have come out with $130 "professional" flylines and I was wondering if any of you Gents has thrown one yet.
    I cant seem to wrap my head around the price tag.
    -Greg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Nope. And no plans to...

3. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

B920EF27-B649-4A59-9E8F-ACA4101956B7.jpeg Delivered today. I’ll let you know Monday.
    No I did not pay $130 for it.

flysalt060, rakeel and backbone like this.
  4. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

I have been using the SA Amplitude Grand Slam in 9 and 10 wt since this spring for red fish. Slickest best casting line I have used. Five stars.

5. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

X2

Fritz likes this.
  6. GG34

GG34 I Love microskiff.com!

The $130 line is for chumps. I'm waiting until it gets to $150. Then I'm in.

7. Rick hambric

What if you can get it for 99?? Is it worth it then? I agree it’s overpriced, but hell what isn’t now days? Question is is it worth it? That’s purely personal preference. Can it make a novice cast 80’? No. Can it help an experienced thrower of plastic get that extra 10 ft or 5 ft in the wind? Only way to know is to try it. Then it’s personal preference of if it’s worth the price. I call myself a middle class working man as I assume most of y’all are, I have to save and squeeze to buy new stuff. It took me 2 years to save enough for two new rods and reels (review to come later on that) but when I buy something I invest my hard earned pennies into what I think is the best for me, not others opinions. If it can make my time on the water a more relaxing and pleasurable experience , what’s another $30??

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    flysalt060, Newman, mwong61 and 10 others like this.
  8. jonrconner

jonrconner I Love microskiff.com!

Only line that will work with your new Loomis Asquith paired up with a Mako, couple of extra spools, and, of course two more Aplitude lines, then you can say, “Hey man, I got one rig that cost me over 4 Gs!” The fish will not have chance!!
    JC

flysalt060, Ethan_W and Rick hambric like this.
  9. GG34

GG34 I Love microskiff.com!

I'm just messing around. That wasn't directed at you. I agree. People should but what they want.

Rick hambric likes this.
  10. Rick hambric

No offense taken my friend!!! Every part of the fly fishing industry is overpriced. $100 clippers, $1000 rods and reels, $200 glasses, and lets not get started on the clothing industry. Does any of it make you a better fisherman? No. Can some things make your time on the water more pleasurable? Yes. Are they worth the prices they ask for them? That answer is subjective to the person who actually used said overpriced equipment.

Fishshoot, GG34, bryson and 3 others like this.
  11. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Money goes out the window when the fly fishing bug gets ya. Plus if your poling a 40,000 dollar skiff what's 30 more bucks like Rick said.

12. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I just read the description and sounds just like the lines they had been selling at $60, then $80, then $100 and now $130. BS IMO. I do not see how these are any different than what they've had before. What technology advances demand that price? A version of AST? They've had that for a while. The lines last 800% longer than competition? Hmmm, ok. Love to see how that was tested and verified. I've had Wulff lines last 5 years. So these will last 40 years? Come one.

I've said it before and will say it again - same Dorito chip, new more colorful bag. Or same soda, new can.

This is one reason why I don't like SA and Rio fly lines - complete marketing mumbo jumbo. I'll take the tried and true brands that rely on good design and quality over marketing, like Wulff and Teeny.

el9surf likes this.
  13. el9surf

I love getting new gear, but I don't feel the need to spend the money on the new line even if it was at the same price point as my current lines. You have to feel content at some point, or you will go broke reaching for the next greatest marketing ploy. Could it be slightly better? Sure but I personally don't feel like there is anything a line manufacturer could do to make a line $40 better than what I use.
    Plus there are very few Rio lines I have liked, and I have fished quite a few of them. The quickshooter bonefish has grown on me, but that's the exception.

Rick hambric likes this.
  14. Hewe Dat

Hewe Dat Active Member

I tend to agree with you. I spent over 9 years working in a high end tackle shop and lots of time with reps quizzing them why is this better than the last one. I think many companies just capitalize on the American herd sheep mentality, if it cost more and looks better then it must be. I am all about function when it comes to my fishing gear. Yes I will drop some coin on what is necessary and not bat an eye, it doesn't take much for me to justify buying good stuff. I love teeny lines! There saltwater sight line is favorite line out there, it will load quickly for a short quick cast or you can bomb one 90'. I have tried many kinds of lines getting free samples from reps and still just keep buying teeny. With all that being said I'll still buy one to try it out, but still willing to bet it's not really any better than my bright orange teeny sight line.

15. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

Fly fishermen have elected to fish in a way that is the most difficult and least likely to catch fish. It follows that anything done to make fly fishing easier is counter to the fly fishermen's basic philosophy. The question that must be answered is "Does $130 fly line make it easier or harder to catch fish?" By casting better, $130 line makes it easier, but by costing more, it's more difficult to attain, and thus makes it harder, but only for a certain economic strata. The conclusion we must draw is that $130 fly line is discriminatory but not in the way one might imagine. Because the rich can afford the line, it makes fly fishing easier for them, which is counter to the goals of fly fishing, therefore $130 fly line damages the fly fishing experience of the wealthy and is thus harmful to that economic class. Because the poor can't afford the line, they're spared the trauma of better fishing and thus $130 fly line is not an issue for them.

In summary: $130 fly line should not be purchased by those who can afford it and will not be purchased by those who can't.

16. backbone

backbone Well-Known Member

I love SA lines, my favorite for sure!
    I would like to hear your feedback on the line!
    Thanks.

17. el9surf

Are we going down the road of government subsidized fly lines?

18. johnmauser

johnmauser I Love microskiff.com!

I have tried the Sci Angler one's.

Honest answer: The $80 lines are really good, and the difference in casting the $130 line, at least for me, was very negligible. If you don't have an extra $50 burning a hole in your pocket, stick with the $80 lines.

19. byates

byates Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to fish the RIO Pro over 4 days earlier this month in Venice. It was a nice line, but not much more so than the Orvis and other RIO lines I also fished. One nice thing was the how easily the line lost its memory after stripping off the reel.
    The taper was solid, and what I would call a good all-around balance to handle a variety of conditions as opposed to some of the specialty tapers. The coating was good and did not require much cleaning in that dirty water, which was a plus. I would say it felt a bit more heavy than a standard 9wt, and RIO describes it as being about 1/2 wt heavier than AFFTA rating.
    What I really did not like was the color changes. I don't mind one color change from head to running line, but the extra color change for the rear taper was annoying.
    I was left wondering why the line would cost $100+, and I would not pay more than $90 for any line. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it, and glad I could reassure myself that I was not missing anything remarkable by not purchasing.

flysalt060, el9surf and Rick hambric like this.
  20. Rick hambric

it was too heavy to me. I tried it on 2 of my 8wts and didn't like it. I agree with the multi color head. it became a quick eyesore. just give me a single tone head, different color running line. the black end on the sa doesn't bother me as I will never see it unless im into my backing (which I hope happens soon)