Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the title says -- anyone run their skiff without power trim? I would love to use an old 2 stroke Yamaha 30 on my Conchfish build, but they weren't available with power tilt and trim (as far as I know).

I am trying to decide if that's a deal breaker or not. I feel confident that I could get the engine set to run well without it, then use the tabs to adjust the attitude of the boat as needed, but there are 2 things that give me a little pause.

One is obviously shallow water operation -- I want to be able to trim up and motor over something if I happen to be in a shallow area. I could always try to do it manually, but I can't remember how difficult that is (been quite a while since I used a motor without power t/t).

The other is safety -- when I come across some of these massive boat wakes we get in the ICW and near the port, or if I'm ever out and get caught in a storm. With power trim I can just trim the bow up high and "mush" through the waves to stop from taking water over the bow, but that's obviously much more difficult without power trim.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
We have a 30hp two smoke Merc w/o tilt n trim. A pain and inconvient. For example, when drifting and you get to where the skeg hangs up and have to manually try and get it pulled up. Then have to worry about getting to deeper water (don't have a TM ). Also at 68, gets tiring after doing it a few times, more awkward than heavy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
My CMC unit broke enough times I figured out how to adjust my motor trim to get through a weekend with only manual trim until I could get home and repair it each time.

It works okay with manual trim but much nicer having the adjustment for running shallow water, getting it trimmed right based on load, etc.

·
Bait Hater
553 Posts
I run a manual 25hp yamaha on my boat. Yes, it is inconvenient at times but i have grown to appreciate it. I run enough shallow, rocky areas that its nice when i hit bottom the motor kicks up and doesn't take quite the blow lower units take with power t/t.

Also, my skiff has trim tabs so i can achieve most of the boats attitude with those. But, having to manually lift much more than my 105 pound motor to trim up for shallow water purposes would not be fun.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
I’m in a similar situation, I have a 25 hp Johnson 2-stroke that doesn’t have power trim and tilt. My primary desire for it is for shallow water use, as well as loading and unloading.

There is a YouTube video I’ve seen where someone converted a Lenco trim tab actuator to raise and lower the motor, but I cannot find it again for the life of me. They are $200 and would not be able to be used to trim the motor while under power, but if it rests on the pin while running, the actuator should be able to handle the load from idling across shallows.

B

·
0 Posts
Every pound counts but CMC T&T unit is a third of that price and only 24 pounds for motors up to 35hp.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collec...ducts/cmc-pt-35-tilt-and-trim-for-up-to-35-hp
Agree. However this is a Bob’s and Bob’s quality is superb! Plus it is a tnt and jack plate in one. With a manual tilt motor and this he would have a jack plate, tnt, and the break away feature of the motor. I’m thinking of one for the X-Calber skiff and a manual tilt motor since I run solid rock bottom. Of course, I’ll run my jet foot in the winter!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run a Yamaha 25 2 stroke all manual. I’ve thought hard about CMC trim but it’s not worth the weight, price, and the other negatives that come with the offset and electrical components. I’m still young and can deal with tilting a motor up by hand. You get use to it quick and don’t even think about it most of the time. It makes a big difference to get your motor height dialed in. Mine is too low and I have to builder the transom up to get it high enough. It has a slight porposing issue in light chop without my dog up front. Tabs would give you plenty of control for rough conditions IMO.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,297 Posts
Glades Skiff for twelve years with lightweight Mercury and Tohatsu 2 cycles no power trim/tilt. No big deal unless you have back issues. After a few trials loaded and unloaded, bolted the engine at the best mounting height. No trim tabs on the 03 GS. You will have trim tabs on the Conch so lack of trim and tilt on the engine is even less problematic but more variables to set the engine height.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The 30 etec short shaft on my Glades X didn't have trim, but I had tabs and a jack plate. Was inconvenient lifting it when I stopped to pole, but underway, I felt I wasn't missing anything performance wise. Before I'd invest in an after market tilt and trim unit, I'd go with a jackplate.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
98 Posts
My 98 whip had a 25 yamaha and trim tabs. Added a jackplate. Between that and the trimtabs I never missed not having tilt and trim. Always had my eye out for a 30 Yamaha though.

Bob

·
I Love microskiff.com!
694 Posts
I say get TnT. I've never owned a skiff without it but I ran a skiff for a week in the Chandys that didn't have it. I can tell you I would never own a skiff without TnT based solely on that week in the chandys.

Once you get off plane, how far of a pole do you have to get where you want to be? The whole, when it doubt trim it out, concept is much harder with a manual.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I ran my native14 for a little over a year without it until I found a almost brand new bobs trim and tilt for about 400$. Best money I ever spent on my skiff and I won’t run a boat without it now, it’s a game changer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts