anyone mountainbike?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cutrunner, Feb 2, 2014.

1. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Is I didn't have enough expensive hobbies, I'm just now getting Into it. Anyone else here ride, and where?

2. JRP

JRP I Love microskiff.com!

Simpler is most of the time is more enjoyable especially to kill a few hours fishing and get some exercise along with it.Unreal the spots you can access and than wade or just cast I love my moutainbike for fishing a basket on the front to carry tackle in laundry bag.The spots you can get to on the island around those mosquito ditches where you live im sure are just unreal.Was told if you went to mosquito control in Ft. Pierce you can get some sort of access key to gates if you are Elderly or have some handicap.I have no idea if this is true ,im the type who would just throw bike over or under gate if I even thought a big snook was waiting.

3. cutrunner

Ha yea I've fished the mosquito ponds. They are fun on a 4wt but mostly everything is juvenile snook and tarpon, but no complaints here.

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Biking is my #1 passion besides fishing.. especially MTB because it gets you out in nature. I've met all my best friends through MTBing, I think there is a connection with it and good souled people who like to spend time exercising outdoors with friends.

For me, it is something that I really enjoy doing that just happens to be good for me.

Spent a lot of time in Spandex trying to go as fast as possible before realizing I was blowing past all the stuff that mattered in life. Now I'm a bit older/slower and wiser and use it as an excuse to get in the woods. My favorite rides are those that we're not really sure where we're going or how to get there, or even when we'll make it back.

I do all my hunting via bike as well, lets me mix two passions.

If you ride, we need to do a road trip together. I'm currently shopping for clothes in the "plus size" aisle since the house remodel but am getting on the bike again getting ready for the annual "Mancation" to Ellijay, GA in May.

Some old pics, some new pics, some hunting pics to get the blood stirring for you:

This was Alafia back when it first opened, a great road trip with a bunch of friends:

[​IMG]

Somewhere in Dupont forest, NC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More NC:

[​IMG]

Engineer Mountain, Durango CO, notice the bird in hand (worth 2 in the bush supposedly but I can't confirm):

[​IMG]

Moab (IMHO over-hyped, Durango blows it away):

[​IMG]

Bike/Hunt pics:

[​IMG]

Pedaling out of Dupuis with a pair of oinkers; 304lbs of scale verified field-dressed pork (not including my azz) plus gun and backpack, a great way to access public land:

[​IMG]

5. cutrunner

Nice! I'm only on about my 5th ride. Currently I have a $400 mongoose (not a $6k carbon bike lol), and just ride halpatiokee trail. Planning on going to ft pierce and later Santos when I get my butt a little more in shape. In highschool I used to race bmx so I'm not nescessarily new to biking but the cost of a good mountain bike makes a hells bay look cost effective haha. No spandex yet for me either :cool:

6. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Cut, trust me the more you get into it it'll do two things for you: Make you healthier and eat away at your spare change!

Just thought it'd be a good way to show there are a lot of fun places to go and enjoy the sport. You get a better feeling of nature when pedaling slow.

I didn't post any recent pics because I'd need a wide angle lens these days :)

-T

7. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

In my younger days I was a cycling fanatic too and now I spend more time slow peddling.

Here is my Marin Larkspur on snake wrangling duty last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that seat is as painful as it looks after 30 miles of coral rock trails. I also have a Gary Fisher and Cannondale F400 When I'm not feeling eccentric.

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Perfect example of a bike setup for a purpose. You need to give a bit more details on your snake wrangling!

-T

9. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Just knocked the cobwebs off my old 1995 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Tires were shot so I put a set of WTB VelociRaptor tires on it. Did a short 3 mile ride today. More of a shakedown cruise. Out of shape but now I remember why I liked to ride.

I've been traveling like a mad man for work recently and I need to do something to get back into shape. Life on the road is hard on one's weight.

Looking to put more miles on her soon!

10. cutrunner

Sweet!
    With allnthis rain we've been having the trails are all muddied up, and I normally wouldn't care but most of my rides are before work..
    Last time I was out I snapped the derailler hanger clean off at the far end of the trail. Yay

11. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I did biking since I was younger, but it wasn't until I bought a real bike that was sized correctly that I really started to enjoy it. 4 years ago before my kid was born and my wife snapped her ankle on the Beast at Loyce Harpe Park, I was doing 8-20 miles a day on the trails, at least 3 days a week. I was in awesome shape, and loved every minute of it. It's pretty much the only form of exercise I truly enjoyed!

I need to get back into it again! I will warn you like the other have, it gets expensive fast! My bike is an older specialized hardtail, think I spent $600 on it back in 2008, and with upgrades I probably have about $1600 into it. To buy a decent new rig will run you $1100-1600 on the low end. It's like a boat, their is always something you can upgrade, or different accessory to buy.

I've really spent my time at just 3 parks. Loyce Harpe is my home trail and great, Alafia is a awesome ride too, and Markham park down in Weston I have riden a few times, which is a cool fast trail made of hard packed sand and coral rock with neat wood features.

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Do I smell a Microskiff MTB get together somewhere mid-state??????

Santos???

Weather is ripe for a road trip

13. cutrunner

14. cutrunner

Tom, what do you have as far as bikes go?

15. Un-shore

FWC 2013 Python Challenge.

Not one snake but I did get a t-shirt :D

16. Un-shore

Count me in!

17. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Santos sounds good to me!

18. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I ride in South Florida, mostly Amelia Earhart and Virginia Key 'cause they're the closest to me.

19. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

Graham Swamp and Mala Compra in Palm Coast?

20. erussell

erussell I Love microskiff.com!

Just went to Santos a few weekends ago, had a blast! Those trails will sure make you realize how out of shape you are!

I have a couple of buddies that got me into going up there and have been enjoying it thoroughly on those days that the lagoon isn't looking so hot.