Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got it off Facebook marketplace. The title said Laguna as the make.?.but I am not sure. It is 13 feet long with a 5 foot beam.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chop strand ?? Years ago I saw a Bayliner of about ~18 ft that had hit a piling. That hull split like a broken egg. Scary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input everyone. I was just curious.
If a Chop Strand boat is dangerous I need to know that and how to tell for sure. It sure seems solid enough.
But if it's dangerous then I can't take my Granddaughter fishing in it and probably have to sell.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The notion that Chop Strand boats are inherently dangerous is silly. There are boat brands that use Chopped strand construction that are favored by many commercial fisherman because they provide a balance of affordability and durability and last for very long periods under tough commercial use by crabbers, oystermen etc. Drawbacks to it are that you should avoid just drilling and screwing into it to mount tie downs/hardware/ accessories etc. It tends to not hold screws well and if the boat is "foam filled" doing so in the floor could lead to waterlogged foam flotation, but equipped and used properly they can last a long time and give you good service.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If a Chop Strand boat is dangerous I need to know that and how to tell for sure. It sure seems solid enough.
But if it's dangerous then I can't take my Granddaughter fishing in it and probably have to sell.
Sorry if I caused concern - that wasn't my intention. That boat was some 30 years ago and I wasn't fooling about it being split wide open. That said, that was one boat out of many, many thousands produced over the years by Bayliner and others. McKee boats have a very good reputation from what I've heard and they wouldn't have that if they fell apart at a sneeze.

Also....in my experience.....I haven't seen "any" fiberglass that would hold screws well. If screwing to fiberglass, use back-up blocks or similar. For mounting transducers, etc., I've always epoxied a hardwood block to the transom and mounted my transducer on that.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
if that's a McKee they have a cult following they are such good little boats. looks like a fun rig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input and reassurance that chop strand can be seaworthy. I have certainly given it a pounding wave walking 3 foot surf. It performs well and tops out at 30 but I prefer to cruise at 25. Yes its fun!

·
Brandon, FL
9,963 Posts
The boating industry is filled with chopper boats from years ago and still being made today. Many of the skiff builders have gone to hand laid to save some weight but many of the bigger boats are still chopper.

Years ago Bayliner was the biggest pieces of garbage on the water. Their quality control must have gone to the bar one too many times. When the mix of resin to catalyst and glass is wrong you end up with an inferior product and yes Bayliner had all kinds of problems.

The boat you have is obviously made the right way or you would not have it and it would have been in the dump long ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I finally found the HIN
LEHLAGUNA ENTERPRISESSARASOTAFL
Never heard of them. The boat has lasted since 1996 with apparently heavy use. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Tri-hulls in general were always the first boat for someone getting into boating years ago.. High end were Boston Whalers and every other was a knock-off of that basic design. Pluses... very stable at rest (and if you filled it with foam nearly un-sinkable) - and they would scoot with modest power on the stern... Minuses... run one in a chop and you'll realize they're not the softest riding hulls around (understatement)... If it was foam filled - the darned foam would over time begin to absorb water - making it heavier as the years went by - and a serious pain to correct since you'd have to take the hull apart (better said, take the inner liner and the hull apart) to be able to remove all that water-logged foam - then put it all back together with new closed cell foam...

Older tri-hulls usually have been through quite a few owners and a lot of different makers all used that same basic design (molds not exactly hard to come by...) so whoever built the one you have is probably long out of business.

Like I said in my first sentence not a bad hull for someone just getting into boating. Like all of us - you can catch a lot of fish out of a basic tri-hull - while learning what you really want in your next boat...

"Aren't boats fun?"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts