Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m starting to look for a small skiff so I decided to join to this forum and see if anyone has heard of Cubera Boats, apparently they are made in Mexico and I got a quote from them, it seems like a reasonable price.
Anyone knows them? Any opinions? They don’t have a website which makes me think they are informal, but they have FB page and Instagram.
They have this video of their building process, which looks better than the pangas I have seen in Mexico.
https://www.facebook.com/503532376798475/posts/517321338752912/
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Welcome to the forum Art. Would you be buying from a US dealer who would honor any warranty issues? What price were you quoted and what do you get at that price?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
437 Posts
Not bad looking. Reminds me of a small Boston Whaler. Lots of foam. Just wondering how they sandwich the hull and cap together. Almost looks like there is too much foam for them to fit together cleanly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum Art. Would you be buying from a US dealer who would honor any warranty issues? What price were you quoted and what do you get at that price?
Dranrab thanks for the reply, i would keep it for a while in Loreto, small town in sea of Cortez, the price quoted was $5000.00 for the hull, rub rail and stainless hardware, they said that they would include labour to install any accessories I buy either through them or by my own. I asked about warranty and they said it was 2 year warranty on the hull, I know is not a lot but for the price and the foam filled upgrade it doesnt sound bad, I’m just a little bit worried cause I’ve never heard or seen that brand

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad looking. Reminds me of a small Boston Whaler. Lots of foam. Just wondering how they sandwich the hull and cap together. Almost looks like there is too much foam for them to fit together cleanly.
That’s funny, I asked the same question to the guy after watching the video and he said the hull and liner are not fully bonded by the foam, they scrape the excess little by little until the two parts fit good and then they just pour some extra foam to bond the hull and liner in a couple different places. They seem to have a decent operation, specially compared to a pangs, price is attractive but I’m just worried that it’s kind of an unknown brand

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
No thank you. Looks like a cheaply made, chop gun, 3rd world boat with tons of spray foam. I'm sure they bond the top cap to the hull with more spray foam. They can have it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
722 Posts
Small world -- I've spent a lot of time in Loreto and Mulege. Actually wrote a Baja trailer boating guidebook: https://www.amazon.com/Anglers-Guide-Trailer-Boating-Baja/dp/061518846X

On topic, that looks like a splash of one of those silly little jetboats Whaler made for a while, and the price seems inexplicably high. Honestly, I'd rather have a local panga, which is rough but a known quantity.

Unless you specifically want to buy within Mexico, I'd look for a used Hobie Power Skiff or one of the many knockoffs that have been made over the years. There was a company in Southern California called Razor Skiffs that made them for a while not long ago. There are usually at least a few for sale on the west coast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts