Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,704 Posts
What jig hook are folks using
I am a big fan of the jig hooks. They are heavy enough by themselves to tie skinny water shrimp and slider patterns on them without needing to add bead chain or dumb bells.

Capt Bob posted some great examples above...

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 800s and 811s are two different models. The 811s is the model that lots of people have broken on bonefish. I pretty regularly use the 800s for docklights down to a size 8. I also tie some smaller redfish patterns on the 6 and 8s for here in Tampa.

I'm fairly certain the finish is the same on the hooks. So I'd be wary of using one on a bonefish who is going to put the heat on the hook very quickly. However I don't have any issue with them sticking redfish and snook around here. The 800s is definitely a wider gap hook than the 811. That might keep it from being pulled on at the angle that breaks the 811. I

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Here's something that I've only found on the internet (E-bay) so far in the way of a relatively light super sharp hook... It's from Owner and called the Aki Light... .Here's a listing on E-Bay for anyone interested. I'm using a few of them now...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,170 Posts
I ran across a bass hook that has a weight molded to it to do just that.
Didn't get any and don't know how much it weights but bass guys throw some heavy hardware.
I've seen something similar but they were like 1/4 to 3/8 oz.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts