Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty sure I've fished almost every model in at least one size. They are all quality hooks that have pros and cons. Do you have any questions about specific hooks?

I fish a ton on their XS410 All purpose, XS506 Jig 60, Tiemco 600SP, and Tiemco 800S. All great hooks in my opinion.

My fly pattern that is produced by them is tied on their XS 425 Baitfish hook. It's a solid hook and I've landed plenty of snook on it. I have tied a lot of flies on their tarpon hooks also. I went to the Tiemco over the tarpon hook because I had a few customers lose fish right at the end of the fight from the hook falling out. The Tarpon hook is a really heavy wire and I would like to see it have a little bigger hook gap for big tarpon specifically. It's a great hook for other species that aren't so hard to stick. You can tie some really cool patterns on the bendbacks as well. Just keep them sparse. It's easy to run out of room.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty sure I've fished almost every model in at least one size. They are all quality hooks that have pros and cons. Do you have any questions about specific hooks?

I fish a ton on their XS410 All purpose, XS506 Jig 60, Tiemco 600SP, and Tiemco 800S. All great hooks in my opinion.

My fly pattern that is produced by them is tied on their XS 425 Baitfish hook. It's a solid hook and I've landed plenty of snook on it. I have tied a lot of flies on their tarpon hooks also. I went to the Tiemco over the tarpon hook because I had a few customers lose fish right at the end of the fight from the hook falling out. The Tarpon hook is a really heavy wire and I would like to see it have a little bigger hook gap for big tarpon specifically. It's a great hook for other species that aren't so hard to stick. You can tie some really cool patterns on the bendbacks as well. Just keep them sparse. It's easy to run out of room.
was looking at that XS425. the slight "V bend" in the hook gap caught my attention. I've used that hook style on Hogy jigs but never on flies.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
The only hook model from Tiemco I'd steer clear of is the 811 if it's still offered.... The only drawback is a killer - it's very strong , ex sharp, but brittle... If you get into a situation where a Mustad 34007 will bend out a bit - the Tiemco 811 will break - they're just too brittle. In the times one of my angers has broken one the only way you noticed it was by actually examining the hook - then finding out you've been fishing with a teaser instead of something with teeth... These days most of my tarpon patterns are on Owner Aki hooks - but for big flies , fished deep and slow... it's hard to beat the 600sp. Guides that are sight fishing big tarpon don't have very good results with them but fished deep and slow it's a killer - with very good hook-ups...

·
Registered
132 Posts
What jig hook are folks using
I really like the size 4 and 6 XS506. I think it's a perfect hook for a smaller crab or shrimp fly. The size 2 is a bigger hook that would be more fitting for a Louisiana redfish fly. Not what our redfish in Tampa bay eat much of. They also make a XS506H that is the same hook with heavier wire. That would fit the bill for bull reds or big crab patterns.

was looking at that XS425. the slight "V bend" in the hook gap caught my attention. I've used that hook style on Hogy jigs but never on flies.
It's a good hook. I don't think it's as sharp out of the package as the more popular tarpon hooks (sl12s1x short, tiemco, and Owner Aki). However I've put plenty of everglades snook in the boat with it. You don't get quite as much shank to work with as the other hooks mentioned as well. Not necessarily a problem but it is a difference.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,170 Posts
I like the jig hook for larger crab patterns. I'll tie in the lead eyes all the way up at the bend. On a few, I've tied the eyes in on the bent up part to get the crab to tilt up and wave the rabbit strip claws. Probably makes me feel better about the fly presentation than the fish but they look cool.

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,640 Posts
I like the jig hook for larger crab patterns. I'll tie in the lead eyes all the way up at the bend. On a few, I've tied the eyes in on the bent up part to get the crab to tilt up and wave the rabbit strip claws. Probably makes me feel better about the fly presentation than the fish but they look cool.
That's the way I tie all mine on jig hooks. I fish mostly freshwater, but the bass don't know any difference. Crawfish and crabs are cousins, ain't they?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The only hook model from Tiemco I'd steer clear of is the 811 if it's still offered.... The only drawback is a killer - it's very strong , ex sharp, but brittle... If you get into a situation where a Mustad 34007 will bend out a bit - the Tiemco 811 will break - they're just too brittle. In the times one of my angers has broken one the only way you noticed it was by actually examining the hook - then finding out you've been fishing with a teaser instead of something with teeth... These days most of my tarpon patterns are on Owner Aki hooks - but for big flies , fished deep and slow... it's hard to beat the 600sp. Guides that are sight fishing big tarpon don't have very good results with them but fished deep and slow it's a killer - with very good hook-ups...
after the second one broke on a strip set (w/ 12lb tippet) I stripped that fly, put it back in the bag, and marked it so I remember not to tie or buy again.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
434 Posts
I really like the size 4 and 6 XS506. I think it's a perfect hook for a smaller crab or shrimp fly. The size 2 is a bigger hook that would be more fitting for a Louisiana redfish fly. Not what our redfish in Tampa bay eat much of. They also make a XS506H that is the same hook with heavier wire. That would fit the bill for bull reds or big crab patterns.

It's a good hook. I don't think it's as sharp out of the package as the more popular tarpon hooks (sl12s1x short, tiemco, and Owner Aki). However I've put plenty of everglades snook in the boat with it. You don't get quite as much shank to work with as the other hooks mentioned as well. Not necessarily a problem but it is a difference.

I agree with the above statement. I don't consider the size 2 a big hook, but then again as Brandon said, I fish in Louisiana and that would be a small to average size crab fly. I have heard and seen them bend on occasion, so I only use them when targeting slot sized reds and sheepshead.

Like Brandon mentioned, I use the heavier wire XS506H for bulls - in 2/0. I haven't caught a bull with one yet, but I hope to soon and I am going to try and pull as hard as I can to see how strong they are.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Somewhere I believe I've posted pics of flies on these jig hooks - they're size 1/0, black nickel from Mustad - I'll try to find the model number and post it. They're the exact same hooks on my bucktail jigs in the 1/8oz size (as weights go up hook sizes go up on the bucktails I make for customers..). Here's a pic of the flies I'm fooling around with now on those hooks...

the two flies on the right, meant to sink a bit have a wire weedguard... the following photo will show them clearer...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts