Anyone have a Big Green Egg?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mikeregas, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

I just got one and I love it. Does anyone here have one and if so what are your must have accessories or eggsesories?

2. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Yeah man, I've had mine for almost 10 years now, love it! For me I went straight to a nice table vs having one of those spindly metal stands. Definitely must get a plate setter, and I'd recommend a thick ceramic pizza stone, not one of those Pampered Chefs ones, they're too skinny.

If you're new to BBQing then definitely need a reliable thermometer because temp at grate will differ from lid temp. I've been contemplating getting one of those Guru's but can't justify the cost. And if you enjoy making Beer Can chicken, get one of the metal stands (I've got the one from Williams Sonoma) vs using a painted/lacquored beer can.

Congrats, you're going to love it!! The Egg just puts a flavor on food that is incredible.

3. mikeregas

I went with a custom built table by me! I didn't like the metal nest thing that it sits in either. ;D I made it out of pressure treated and I am now waiting on it to dry out to stain it. I think I am going to add a piece of granite on each side of the grill so I have something I can set things on. I can see this table evolving to something crazy when it's all said and done.

[​IMG]

I got the plate setter and I bought the metal beer can chicken thing along with the Jalapeno corer thing it's cool. I am also thinking about the Guru but it is pricey. but I tried to do a Boston butt the last week and had to finish it in the oven because I couldn't keep the low temp going overnight.

It cooks some of the best steaks I've cooked at home with the high heat you can generate.

4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Nice setup!!! Now lets see some finished products coming off that baby :)

5. Megalops

Nice! I'm sure u know about the Egg forum, there are some killer recipes there but i can't stand the format of their site. Looks like your set. Only thing I could say is get the Egg fire starters, they're so simple to start up.

You're going to love that thing. Everything is so cool about it, from lighting the fire, cooking, and eating the best tasting cuisine around. Like Makin moves said, post some pics of finished product.

6. mikeregas

Okay I will take some pics of some of the food that comes off of the BGE!!! I love this thing. I can tell I am going to have to be careful, I have spent the past six months losing weight I don't want to pile it all back on an then some.

I have seen the forum and I agree it is a bit difficult at times. I will check out the recipes and take some pics of the stuff that comes off the Egg too.

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Put out a "Request"

Still looking ....

Looking to barter for one ...

8. Megalops

Little fillets and behind the scenes lobster tails to accompany. Lobsters not in photo.  :)
    [​IMG]

9. mikeregas

Damn that looks tasty. I will have to get some filets for dinner and take some photos and post them.

Or maybe my spare ribs...

10. mikeregas

Okay, so I have cooked many things on the Egg so far, but this is probably the best yet. 5# Boston Butt, slow and low for 12 hours. It was awesome. Tender and Juicy!!!

[​IMG]

11. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

It's a great grill/smoker/oven

Kingfish
    [​IMG]

turducken
    [​IMG]

Pizza
    [​IMG]

Ribs
    [​IMG]

Ham
    [​IMG]

12. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

This thread made me eat my lunch an hour in advance.

13. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

im still skeptical, how about a forum cook out to show the rest of us how it taste :D ;D :cool:

14. Megalops

Man, have today off and the weather blows - literally - no fishing for me.  Anyways, cooking 2 turkeys tomorrow, one fried and the other in the Egg.  I swear, the below referenced recipe is absolutely killer on the Egg. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Happy Thanksgiving all!

15. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Will need follow up pics ;)

16. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

and free samples.....

17. mikeregas

I started this thread, so I figured I would add some pics of the Egg in action. Thanksgiving was two days ago so I will start there and work backwards…

Brined for 24 hours, homemade bacon butter stuffed under the skin (a lot) and then stuffed with homemade stuffing(mom made that)
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Obviously you have to do some slow and low cooked BBQ (Boston Butt):
    [​IMG]

Pulled and ready to devour :
    [​IMG]

And it needs to be washed down of course:
    [​IMG]

Pizza is something you have to do on the Egg if you haven't yet, they are so good.
    First attempt:
    [​IMG]

Last attempt(much better):
    [​IMG]

I have eaten at some pretty nice steak houses and they all use dry aged beef, so I did some reading and bought another fridge and then a nice ribeye put it in the fridge for 60 days
    [​IMG]

Cleaned, notice the deep red color:
    [​IMG]

Cut with Publix rib eyes(the two smaller ones are the aged beef) The beef doesn't have the moisture of the Publix beef it is also much darker in color.
    [​IMG]

The two on the left are the aged beef:
    [​IMG]

I should've taken pictures of the cut cooked steaks but I had one bight and couldn't put my fork and knife down…

Just some nighttime grilling here:
    [​IMG]

18. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

DAM ! i bit my finger....... :p

19. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

Finally got a table. Big difference.

[​IMG]

Anyone have a Kamado Komodo?