Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its not the traditional holders that you see on common gunnels. The rods are more forward than the bottom one, its really hard to explain. The pic I seen it on was a chittum skiff I believe and can't find it now.

Added a drawing. Its not the best, but it might help get the idea.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Mine has tubes in the rear bulkhead too so you can put rods both ways. I carry 6-8 rods at a time plus two stakeout poles without reels hitting. The staggered setup looks like a cool concept.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,821 Posts
Chittum does it, and I've seen Spear skiffs with it. I think the biggest hurdle is you've just got to have the room to be able to slide the rod forward in the holder a bit more.

I like the staggered ones, but I think I prefer a glassed-in one that also provides support to the gunwale.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here's the way Chittum did the Laguna Madre II in 17. I think there are 4 aft facing and 4 fore facing. The little black rod tubes are a bit hard to see. May put a silver circle around mine some day. Like the system just fine.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here.

Attachments

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Chittum does it, and I've seen Spear skiffs with it. I think the biggest hurdle is you've just got to have the room to be able to slide the rod forward in the holder a bit more.

I like the staggered ones, but I think I prefer a glassed-in one that also provides support to the gunwale.
I would love to find a set of those. I already have my starboard type ones out (doing a bunch of mods) and looking for something like that. But aI think I'm going to have to use mine as templetes and cut them out of Coosa board, double the thickness and glass them (finishing them with gelcoat or Awlgrip) and not glass them in, but putty them in. Then do a felt finish where the pad touches the rods. I love the idea above, But I'm trying to make the gunnel cap flip up with hinges. So I need the rod holders for that extra support. Yes, I know, even "I" think I'm crazy making the Gunnel over the cockpit area flip upwards. But when you've ever had access to rods like that before, it is super sweet!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I forgot to add that the 4 aft facing are starboard and four fore facing are port.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's not crazy. You like what you like. Build what works for you. You definitely could make some that support the gunnel cap. I cant use paint so give me a minute and I will draw up my idea. This is on the fly and may be different given a day or two to think about it. But build it your way, that's half the fun in all this.
Michael

1 - 20 of 27 Posts