Anyone Going to Bike Week?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tom_in_orl, Feb 24, 2007.

1. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I had to do a little maintenance on one of my Harleys this morning. Wondering if there are any other bikers on the forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

Nice looking bikes. I rode a 77 Lowrider for years, I wish the X never talk me into selling it. The 77 Lowrider was the first of Harley's "factory customs".
    [​IMG]

3. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

if i can get my 110 cube in the gheenoe ill be there. Ape hangers are all ready in the console and tranny is mounted to the hull! ;D

4. easy

easy Well-Known Member

i always go to bike week but try to make the first part of the week as the end of the week gets a little too stupid for me. i ride a yamaha roadstar personally could not take the price of the heritage that i wanted with 3 kids in college right now. started riding in the early 70's on sportsters and honda 750's, quit when i had kids as my wife is a nurse and did not want me splatted on the road while we were in our child bearing years so i quit. now that all are in college she said to me and i quote " if you want to go out and kill yourself on a bike again i understand" the next week i was on 2 wheels again and loving it. but you have to understand where she is coming from she works at halifax hospital in daytona and takes care of the bikers coming out of surgery. and lets face it i am probably still alive because of her smarts, 22 years of the marine corps and motorcycles and i am still a living, breathing father.

5. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

I rode for just over 20 years.  I brought my first harley home when I was 17 it was a 1974 sportster.  That was followed by several shovel heads (2 FLs, and a FXWG).  My first evo was a 85 wide glide (fxwg), followed by a fat boy.  Then I decided I wanted something more custom and bought a rigid frame and built a hardtail with an all S&S stroker (98 ci).  After riding the rigid from Myrtle Beach to Stugis and back, I decided I needed shocks! (really needed shocks). I built my last two bikes with Boyce softail chopper frames.  The last one was about 113 ci, S&S cases, Schumacher cylinders, and revtech heads. I have not had a bike since 2003.  As far as "trailer week" oops I mean bike week, I went either spring or fall 16 out of 20 years of riding.  It was a lot more fun to me in the late 80's but thats just my opinion.  I work in IT and it seemed like I was seeing more yuppies at biker events than I did at my office ;D I've been thinking about building another one and probably will before long.  Have fun and be safe!

6. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

jmarkklock, you are in a different league. I am one of those RUBs that you probably hate but I can not help the hand I was given. I wish I had the ability and tools to build a bike from scratch. I would really like to do some restoration work on older Harleys. I wouldn't mind finding a mid 80s softail custom.

I have been riding since I was 17. I rode enduros for 15 years because that is what I could afford. I have owned one while living in several states. California, Hawaii, and Georgia were my favorites. I liked the mountain roads and the off roading too. California was great for doing 100+ mile off road trips. When I got back to Florida my IT career was doing pretty good and the roads were all strait so I finally bought my first Harley.

I had always wanted to ride a Harley even before I purchased my first motor cycle but by the time I was old enough prices had all ready shot up out of my reach. When I was 18 me and a friend when looking for a used Sportster XLCR but never found one. I picked up the custom sportster because it brought back so many memories from my first days around motorcycles and my first attempt to buy a Harley. That and this particular bike is a blast to ride. The Road King is for me and the wife to enjoy each others company. She is supportive of my motorcycles and usually goes to bike week with me for a day or two. Which is cool. When friends tell me that their wife's would not let them have one I tell them that it was a "non-negotiable" when we got married. Easy, I understand your situation. I work for a large hospital chain and the nurses are always lecturing me about the stuff they see. I can not image how much your wife sees working in Daytona.

[​IMG]

7. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

Tom, That is a bad azz sporty. In my post I didn't mean to put anyone down. I believe "to each his own". I have always had friends that rode honda, kaws, triumphs, etc. My only problems in building bikes is that I have to get help with the welding and painting (two of the more expensive things). I can half azz weld (just not pretty) and my painting skills suck :'( . I have always been luck to have a couple friends that are expert welders or painters.

8. easy

easy Well-Known Member

tom

you can imagine what i am getting right now, just before bike week is starting and she is getting ready to do a 15 day stretch at the track. she knows i love to ride and never has complained, just be careful and i love ya, especially since i ride to orlando and back every day to work on it. oh by the way orlando traffic SUCKS :(

9. tito

tito Well-Known Member

Tom , I did not know you had so many wonderful toys, If I was getting a bike it would have to be the road king which I think is the one that the police and highway patrol use, sort of a police version in white or black, Just be cautious, a lot of drunk drivers out there.