Anyone ever get a cobia on the fly?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by lsunoe, Oct 5, 2017.

1. WillW

WillW I Love microskiff.com!

I hear a Mongoose fly is killer

Rick hambric and LowHydrogen like this.
  2. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

They're a PITA! ;)

Rick hambric likes this.

3. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

The ones that I encountered were very fast moving and both of them rushed my fly hard. I thought it was really awesome. I've gotta figure out how to find them so I can try it again.

4. Steve_Mevers

Steve_Mevers I Love microskiff.com!

I tied that fly last year, and the first time I used it I jumped two Tarpon in the canal leading into Lake Ingram. When I started reading this thread I was thinking that snake fly would be perfect for cobia and then I saw your post. Bob, thanks for everything you contribute to the forum.

5. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Bob's snake fly is perfect for cobia. Big and bold with action.

6. Hayes

Hayes Member

I am from Pensacola and do the Late March to May migration every year. I actually use a black eel style fly. I copied it after a small mouth bass leech fly. It is double jointed so when pulled through the water it has a swimming motion. Seems to work well. I use a 10 wt and don't throw at much larger then 30-40#s.

Rick hambric likes this.
  7. Backwater

I may have caught a few.... :cool:

[​IMG]

crboggs, bryson, lsunoe and 1 other person like this.
  8. bryson

bryson I Love microskiff.com!

@Backwater I bet that was a riot on the fly! What kind of water was it in? It was crazy to learn in the last few years how y'all fish for them down south. Growing up, I never thought of them as anything other than a near shore fish.

Rick hambric likes this.
  9. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

In spring they make a migrationup the west coast through the panhandle. Look for the Big rays on the flats and deep holes along the flats. In the citrus county area of Florida if you know where, there is big holes 10ft +- in the 2-4ft flats.

bryson likes this.
  10. RJTaylor

RJTaylor Member

I've caught several while offshore fishing, and every one has eaten a simple "junk" fly I tie in chart/white, or all white. It's basically Super Hair tied to an Owner Aki 5170. No weight, and no eyes. They hold up extremely well when a kingfish comes out of nowhere and grabs it as well.

bryson and Rick hambric like this.
  11. Backwater

Depending on water temps, in the spring, they will come out of deep water and scour the flats looking whatever they can find. They are opportunist feeders, but sand eels and lug worms are like candy to them.

[​IMG]

If they are on the flats, this is my go-to fly I designed some years ago. Btw, it's weighted with lead wire.

The one in the pic above, I caught it on a black and wine colored shrimp bug with long black legs I tied for redfish.
    [​IMG]

They can be somewhat blind if the water is a bit cloudy. If that's the case, tarpon bunny flies in black, black n purple and also purple will work.

Ted

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    bryson and Rick hambric like this.
  12. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Yup...we've seen some monsters on the flats. I'm hoping to feed one this year.

Backwater likes this.