Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so tired of replacing my stradics every 2 or 3 years I am considering switching to another brand. I dont take great care of my reels other than a freshwater rinse after every trip and an occasional application of oil but eventually the anti reverse fails on almost all of them. Does anyone who fishes a lot recommend diawa?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I've got a couple of sustains and stradics that I've had for four years or so and they haven't given me any problems other than I had to get one rebuilt after it got dunked pretty bad. Until last year, they got used about 50 days a year. I've had good luck with Daiwa too and wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Edit: My wife has a 15 year old Stella 2500 that she bought off some Japanese dude from Ebay. Still butter smooth.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a couple of sustains and stradics that I've had for four years or so and they haven't given me any problems other than I had to get one rebuilt after it got dunked pretty bad. Until last year, they got used about 50 days a year.

Reactions: OED

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Penn Battle II. If you hunt them down, the 3000’s can be had for around $80, sometimes less. At that price, I consider them disposable. They take a beating with little to no maintenance. I have some that are going on 2 years + or so with just a hose rinse after use. I went away from Shimano years ago and never looked back.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Penn Battle II. If you hunt them down, the 3000’s can be had for around $80, sometimes less. At that price, I consider them disposable. They take a beating with little to no maintenance. I have some that are going on 2 years + or so with just a hose rinse after use. I went away from Shimano years ago and never looked back.
It really sucks cause I love shimano reels. I have 8 stradics right now and 2 are experiencing this intermittent anti reverse failure on hook sets. Admittedly these failures mostly happen on my redfish reels and not on my trout set ups. Wish I could get more than a handful of years on all my reels before needing replacement. I have never been a fan of penn but maybe I should try one out.

Reactions: Omar_Guillen

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a couple of sustains and stradics that I've had for four years or so and they haven't given me any problems other than I had to get one rebuilt after it got dunked pretty bad. Until last year, they got used about 50 days a year. I've had good luck with Daiwa too and wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Edit: My wife has a 15 year old Stella 2500 that she bought off some Japanese dude from Ebay. Still butter smooth.

My buddy has a stella that he bought used off ebay and that thing is still chugging along after 5 years. I am sure these would last long enough for me to be happy but I just dont want to spend the coin lol

·
Fine line between recreation and degeneracy.
1978 mako 17
323 Posts
The old silver Stradics never die. I have a couple 3000’s. No you can’t have them. But you can find them from time to time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I currently have 7 Stradics ranging from 2500-4000, and 1 BG 2500 usually fishing them 2 weekends a month. I can almost set my calendar every year when the pinion bearings or drag washers fail on them! (Yes they are rinsed after every use, no they've never been dunked and yes I do open them up and oil occasionally.) I did switch the drag washers to the Carbon-tex brand have had good luck this year, but 2 of them need another pinion bearing. Knock on wood, haven't had anti reverse problems. I said I was done with Stradics after buying the BG but my local tackle shop has advised me at how hard parts are to come by for the BGs if/when they do fail. Thinking of trying the Florida Fishing Products Osprey 3000 when I get seriously fed up

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
I have a set of Stradic CI4+ that have been going strong for 4 years. I fish them pretty hard but they've never been dunked. Care includes a warm freshwater shower after fishing and a few drops of oil occasionally. The same applies to my Chronarch bait caster, although it's a couple years newer. Daiwa BGs are a good reel, but I'm not giving up the featherweight and smooth drag of my Shimano's. I also have a set of Stellas that are more than 10 years old, but they are on my tournament outfits so they don't have near the mileage.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
37 Posts
The wife loves shimanos but every single one sounds like a coffee grinder. They get used in saltwater probably 50-60 days a year. I have been using daiwa baitcasters for the better part of a decade with no issues, can’t say much for the spinning reels. I have one Saltisit Back Bay I bough recently just to have a spinning reel in my boat and so far so good. Team Daiwa here

·
Fine line between recreation and degeneracy.
1978 mako 17
323 Posts
I currently have 7 Stradics ranging from 2500-4000, and 1 BG 2500 usually fishing them 2 weekends a month. I can almost set my calendar every year when the pinion bearings or drag washers fail on them! (Yes they are rinsed after every use, no they've never been dunked and yes I do open them up and oil occasionally.) I did switch the drag washers to the Carbon-tex brand have had good luck this year, but 2 of them need another pinion bearing. Knock on wood, haven't had anti reverse problems. I said I was done with Stradics after buying the BG but my local tackle shop has advised me at how hard parts are to come by for the BGs if/when they do fail. Thinking of trying the Florida Fishing Products Osprey 3000 when I get seriously fed up
I’ve heard those FL reels are absolute dogshit.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Any anti-reverse that fails on a Stradic is usually because some oil or grease has gotten to the roller clutch unit... Anyone that liberally oils the spool shaft will notice their anti-reverse begin to slip and it will only get worse over time until you tear down the reel far enough to get to the roller clutch assembly and clean it off with mineral spirits or other solvent....

Over the years I’ve had very few roller clutches that wore out and needed replacing- but many more that just needed to have grease or oil removed.

My main complaint with Shimano is not keeping a good parts supply for the reels they sell over time... I can’t imagine the feeling of having a high end reel that becomes worthless when one part breaks or wears out...
It’s bad enough when it happens to one of the dozen or so Stradics I’ve had over the years.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any anti-reverse that fails on a Stradic is usually because some oil or grease has gotten to the roller clutch unit... Anyone that liberally oils the spool shaft will notice their anti-reverse begin to slip and it will only get worse over time until you tear down the reel far enough to get to the roller clutch assembly and clean it off with mineral spirits or other solvent....

Over the years I’ve had very few roller clutches that wore out and needed replacing- but many more that just needed to have grease or oil removed.

My main complaint with Shimano is not keeping a good parts supply for the reels they sell over time... I can’t imagine the feeling of having a high end reel that becomes worthless when one part breaks or wears out...
It’s bad enough when it happens to one of the dozen or so Stradics I’ve had over the years.
Thank you for posting this! I will look up how to do this and try it out. I will be very happy if this fixes my issues.

Its almost like the anti reverse gives out for a split second while setting the hook. The handle will spin around several times and then it catches itself. Between missing the fish and the handle knocking your knuckle it is a "reel" pain in the arse. Thanks again!

·
Registered
586 Posts
B
It really sucks cause I love shimano reels. I have 8 stradics right now and 2 are experiencing this intermittent anti reverse failure on hook sets. Admittedly these failures mostly happen on my redfish reels and not on my trout set ups. Wish I could get more than a handful of years on all my reels before needing replacement. I have never been a fan of penn but maybe I should try one out.
Big, Cast aside your bias and go battle 2 FTW. Thank me later. Seymour

·
Registered
547 Posts
Have both Stradic FK’s and the BG’s in multiple sizes. Both have been flawless, but will only be buying the BG’s going forward... can’t beat them for the quality/value.

·
Brandon, FL
10,949 Posts
Got rid of Shimano a long time ago and I am loaded up with Fin-nor mega liters that are 20 years old and they have never had a screw taken out, never greased, zero maintenance other than rinsing after using.

But of course they stopped making them.

I needed a new one last year so I bought one from a recommendation on here and it was crap. I actually took it off the rod and threw it in the gulf.

I bought my very first Diawa and so far so good. If it fails it will join its cousin.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts