Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They come in at about the same price. I gave up on my Daiwas a bit ago as the Ballistics tended to have corrosion issues on the frames and lose some of their smoothness after a while. Thinking about giving a Saltist a try though. On the other hand, the highest end Shimano I have is a Vanford. Hard to go wrong with those other than all of my Shimano reels' roller bearings getting noisy after a year or so.

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Mangrove
1,238 Posts
I tried the Diawa with the mag seal that matches Shimano Stradic. I think it was the Saltist. The reel fished great, nice drag, casted great but the mag seal sucked.

I should have know better than having a surface tension keeping saltwater at bay.

·
Registered
2015 beavertail micro, 30 etec
27 Posts
I bought the daiwa saltist back bay 3000 size earlier this year and have liked it a lot. It's caught redfish and triple tail and seems real smooth on the drag. I actually went sort of stupid in between casts a few months ago and dropped it overboard and of course washed it off at home and it hasn't showed any signs of water getting in or not being as smooth as before. It's not exactly the one you are asking about and is my first Diawa and I like it so far.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
230 Posts
I’m under $200 for all spinners, no problems. Been a Shimano user 20 years, some penn Battles for high abuse fishing, like big / big snook from land. Youngsters around me spend big on spinners, and the go just as fast as the under 200..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Haven’t used a saltist but I’ve got a few BG MQs in 4000 and 6000. They are similar to the saltist in Construction and seals but $200 which was more in my budget. I really like them so far. They are smooth and fairly light. I also like that they are sized more like shimano s unlike the standard BGs that are 1-2 sizes over with the spool sizing. I haven’t beat them up yet but they have caught some good fish so far and I’ve got no complaints. I got away from diawas years ago but those MQs brought me back in and I’d say i might like them better than the stratic

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,624 Posts
I've been replacing my Shimano reels with Daiwa reels for a couple years now. My favorite is a Saltist MQ, it's rugged and I like the sealed line roller and main shaft features. It's light weight, but seems strong. It also has a waterproof carbon drags system that is very smooth. I also use the BG MQ model reels and the Saltist Backbay, which may be of more interest to you as it is priced closer to $200. Several of my set ups for kids/guests use the BG reels, which I think are the best value on the market. You can get a 2500 series reel for about $90. I've been very satisfied with all of the Daiwa reels thus far.

·
Panhandler
3,699 Posts
Guess they've improved over the years, but I bought a Saltist when it first came out. Fished it in the Amazon for a week and by the time I returned home it started corroding. Switched to Shimano and haven't looked back.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input regarding the new MQ line of products. That is what I am most curious about - the newer products and specifically the Saltist. I have some experience with the Backbay - they seem nice, just a tad heavier. I am also intrigued by the Saltist's round handle.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,624 Posts
Thanks for the input regarding the new MQ line of products. That is what I am most curious about - the newer products and specifically the Saltist. I have some experience with the Backbay - they seem nice, just a tad heavier. I am also intrigued by the Saltist's round handle.
I really like the power handle!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,624 Posts
Guess they've improved over the years, but I bought a Saltist when it first came out. Fished it in the Amazon for a week and by the time I returned home it started corroding. Switched to Shimano and haven't looked back.
Dave, I encourage you to give them another shot. The Saltist MQ was the ICAST reel of the year last year. I've been a Shimano guy for years, but this one opened my eyes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts