Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on how well they work. Wouldn't be for salt, just freshwater bass or some deeper pockets in the local rivers.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,189 Posts
They work pretty well for what they are.

They aren’t as durable as a loop to loop addition sink tip or standard sinking line, but they do help flies get down deeper for some streamer fishing scenarios. Only down side if when you get a fly hung and have to pull to snap it you never know where it will snap from, sometimes it’s right at the end and sometimes it’s 2-3’ up. So your 9’ leader turns to 6-7’ pretty quick.

I like them a lot for 2-4wt’s where wanting a sink tip for things like white bass fishing in the spring. It essentially turn yours normal floating into a sink tip once you dial in what weight your small rod likes.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will just ordered one to try. It will be primarily on a 5wt. From what I understand you still have to add a leader to it. Just a bit shorter as you would with a regular sink tip.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,189 Posts
Thanks. I will just ordered one to try. It will be primarily on a 5wt. From what I understand you still have to add a leader to it. Just a bit shorter as you would with a regular sink tip.
Just depends on the leader, as most of mine came with 2-3’ of whatever the final tippet size of the leader of mono was. Ie a 12lb poly leader would have a couple feet of 12lb at the end that wasn’t coated. You will most likely not need to add another leader to it.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
I got an OPST mini shooting head setup with sink tip and fluoro on a 5wt it's awesome. You can overhand it, but it really shines in tight areas if you can single hand spey cast.

The nice thing being you can switch the sink tip and fluoro out for the floating tip and mono in just a few seconds, it's all loop to loop.

If you don't like the versileader give it a try.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks . I'll look into it. I bought the 10ft versaleader but it is the 24lb tippet which seems big for a 5wt. Hopefully it will turn it over. It's the 5 ips freshwater version. I probably would have been better off with the smaller trout setup in 12 lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts