Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to try tying some Squid imitations to use offshore. I've seen a ton of good ones online, but figured I'd see if any of you guys have some good simple squid patterns to try? Let's see em if you do. Any size, just looking for some good ideas. Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
I have one, but it's not simple. I'll see if I can get some pics and post them. Cobia love it.

Reactions: Skram

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
@FlyBy, any luck with getting some pics of your squid fly? i havent seen many cobia specific flies and am pretty curious what you're throwing
IMG_0799 (3).JPG

Old and ratty, been chewed a bunch but only one I have with me. Mantle is yak hair, body Estaz Grande chenille, head is small styrofoam ball covered with same chenille, tentacles are dry fly hackle with brown spots for suckers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
70D57A70-4C76-474F-86C8-034BA7778665.jpeg
Great stuff guys. Going to have to try some of those. I tied up my first squid this morning. 4.5” overall on a 3/0 Mustad. Hopefully test it out if this weather would get right.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
F67C66B0-05A3-4AF1-B6A0-F7E6E9D002EA.jpeg
Here are couple of mine, I’m going to make some with eyes sometime using Bob LeMay’s method for hanging the eyes off the back on a loop of mono.
JC

Reactions: hostage1985

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
A great (and easy) method for squid flies is to use an articulated shank. Tentacles and eyes on a standard or short-shank hook; body and mantle on a (think Intruder) shank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts