Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Cabo in early May, looking for guide recommendations, DIY beach suggestions or general advice. I'm an experienced saltwater fly angler looking to chase Roosters or maybe head offshore for Sailfish, etc.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,928 Posts
Bucket list destination

·
Panhandler
2,683 Posts
http://www.bajafly.com

Gary Graham is dialed in to the latest action and runs a guide booking service. The East Cape area north of San Jose is probably the better zone for roosters but they catch them regularly in CSL too. If you stay in CSL, don't miss Baja Cantina on the harbor for dinner and Cabo Wabo for dessert. Maria Corona is an authentic Mexican sit-down restaurant in town. There is a great little taco shop in Las Barilles (on the main street facing the Sea of Cortez) that has the best fish and seafood tacos in the world if you end up on the East Cape. Bring a 10-weight outfit and some large mullet/sardine patterns for the roosters. Floating and intermediate lines and fluorocarbon leaders.

If you want to chase sails, stripers and dorado, Baja Cantina has a 32 Intrepid CC that they charter at reasonable rates to get offshore. The water gets deep in a hurry so you don't usually have to run too far. There are a couple of productive banks nearby that always hold bait and usually game fish.

Would recommend stepping up to a 12-wt for going offshore. Never know what might pop up and Pacific sails average 140-160 pounds. Big poppers, streamers and squid patterns for the pelagics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.bajafly.com

Gary Graham is dialed in to the latest action and runs a guide service. The East Cape area north of San Jose is probably the better zone for roosters but they catch them regularly in CSL too. If you stay in CSL, don't miss Baja Cantina on the harbor for dinner and Cabo Wabo for dessert. Maria Corona is an authentic Mexican sit-down restaurant in town. There is a great little taco shop in Las Barilles (on the main street facing the Sea of Cortez) that has the best fish and seafood tacos in the world if you end up on the East Cape. Bring a 10-weight outfit and some large mullet/sardine patterns for the roosters. Floating and intermediate lines and fluorocarbon leaders.

If you want to chase sails, stripers and dorado, Baja Cantina has a 32 Intrepid CC that they charter at reasonable rates to get offshore. The water gets deep in a hurry so you don't usually have to run too far. There are a couple of productive banks nearby that always hold bait and usually game fish.

Would recommend stepping up to a 12-wt for going offshore. Never know what might pop up and Pacific sails average 140-160 pounds. Big poppers, streamers and squid patterns for the pelagics.
This is all very helpful info, thank you! I'll reach out to Gary and see if he's still got any days open.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cabo is more of a boat only area. The east cape is where you get rooster fish more readily and from the beach. That is only about a 90 minute drive from where you are. You are a bit early for roosters but there should be some around. I think the yellow tail fishing is good right now. Most of all the Panga operators know what they are doing down there.
For a beach guide Lance Peterson is the man. http://lancepetersonfishing.com/locations-Roosterfish.html
Also be careful there is some gang violence going on down there right now that is no joke.

·
Panhandler
2,683 Posts
This is all very helpful info, thank you! I'll reach out to Gary and see if he's still got any days open.
Gary books knowledgeable and reputable Baja guides. He doesn't actually guide himself but can definitely hook you up with one.

Cabo is like other Third World tourism areas. Watch your surroundings, travel in groups at night and you shouldn't have any problems. Have been going there for years without incident. The water in the hotels is safe, but the Pacificos are better. The limes will kill any germs. ;)

Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cabo is more of a boat only area. The east cape is where you get rooster fish more readily and from the beach. That is only about a 90 minute drive from where you are. You are a bit early for roosters but there should be some around. I think the yellow tail fishing is good right now. Most of all the Panga operators know what they are doing down there.
For a beach guide Lance Peterson is the man. http://lancepetersonfishing.com/locations-Roosterfish.html
Also be careful there is some gang violence going on down there right now that is no joke.
Hmm, you must be right because everyone says East Cape and you're the second person to mention Lance by name. No doubt he's already booked into next year, but maybe he can recommend someone. Doesn't seem like it's very likely to target Yellowtail from the beach but I'm sure there are boats out of Cabo that could make that happen.
Will be sure to keep my eyes open down there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
@Floriduh I fish cabo every year and for my offshore trips I schedule with http://www.minervas.com/. you can always find local Super Pangas to take you for yellowfin within a mile of the coast for very cheap prices. Now for Fly fishing Roosters from the beach well that is still in my bucketlist. Im actually going in May as well so good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Personally prefer Dorado to the tuna's down there.
If you get into 40+ inch Dorados it becomes an epic trip. 9/10 wt rods for Dorados is good but have a 12 wt rod for the "big" fish. You might just hook up with something that won't jump and the depth can be 5 to 10 times the capacity of your backing.

Last of my Big fish flys :)

003.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
18 Posts
I'm headed to Cabo this Wed - Sun with the wifey. Not necessarily a fishing trip but I was able to negotiate brining my 10 and 12 weight. The plan is to walk the beaches in the morning and maybe get out on a Panga for a couple hours.

I'll let you guys know how I do!

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
A little early for these
001.jpg

Pic of a pic... sea of cortez
couldn't find my pics of the Roosters

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do not try DYI for surf rooster fish.

If you want to try it hire a guide.

It is possible but your chances of a complete breakdown and spin into alcoholism and low self esteem issues are a real possibility.

Don’t ask.
BM have you considered Psychological Health Services in the area??? :confused: They can guide you out of the sand onto some raw unfinished fiberglass with the smell of dead fish!!:D

·
I Love microskiff.com!
711 Posts
Yes.
My insurance is no good in Mexico.

Ended up at Sammy Hagar’s place sampling all the tequila.
And Phil ended up getting rolled by the local police then the federal police.
After handcuffing him to a fence for most of the night they took him to an ATM to drain his account.
When that was complete they dropped him on a back road by a chicken coup.
He knocked on my door at sunrise to get 50 bucks to pay the guy on the moped that got him back to the hotel . Shoeless and cashless.

Mexico is fun like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes.
My insurance is no good in Mexico.

Ended up at Sammy Hagar’s place sampling all the tequila.
And Phil ended up getting rolled by the local police then the federal police.
After handcuffing him to a fence for most of the night they took him to an ATM to drain his account.
When that was complete they dropped him on a back road by a chicken coup.
He knocked on my door at sunrise to get 50 bucks to pay the guy on the moped that got him back to the hotel . Shoeless and cashless.

Mexico is fun like that.
Sounds like my kind of adventure! I haven't been shaken down by foreign police in several years, feels like I'm overdue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts