Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the flexible Taco Marine Rub Rail to install on my FS18. Watched the site video, but curious about any helpful hints or tips to help my install go smoothly? For instance, the video recommends soaking in hot water, but has anyone used a heat gun? Good idea or bad?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,905 Posts
I used a rubber mallet, heat gun and a bucket of warm water with Dawn dishwashing soap. Start from the center of the bow and work your way towards the back then I run a screw through the end cap, rub rail insert and into the boat

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I was taught to lay the new rubrail out in the sun for a few hours (resting on asphalt so that it got as warm as possible) before using it. Installing new rubrail is one of those jobs where two sets of hands are a good idea....

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Yup. Send it back. Sand down the old with very fine grit on worst areas and hit it with a buffer like you are buffing gel. Looks great. New one will get scuffed soon enough anyways. Looks like the tips are all covered here. Think I would stretch a section and put in a screw then come back in and fill in the screws. Trying to keep it straight one screw at a time will leave it wavy I bet. Basically like putting down a tape line. Little longer section goes straight better than small sections. Until you get to corners and detail areas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, no doubt I'll need two hands. My son's around this weekend, hopefully I can coax him into helping, may only take buying him dinner and/or a six pack, cheap labor in my opinion. But we will be fishing tomorrow. IMO, that's a higher priority.

And, yes, worried about keeping it straight, would agree working long sections would be best. The sanding part shouldn't be too bad as there was no original rub rail, just the laminated/glassed marine plywood that's only been painted.

When it's done, I'll update.

Thanks,
Mike

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
Thanks guys, no doubt I'll need two hands. My son's around this weekend, hopefully I can coax him into helping, may only take buying him dinner and/or a six pack, cheap labor in my opinion. But we will be fishing tomorrow. IMO, that's a higher priority.

And, yes, worried about keeping it straight, would agree working long sections would be best. The sanding part shouldn't be too bad as there was no original rub rail, just the laminated/glassed marine plywood that's only been painted.

When it's done, I'll update.

Thanks,
Mike
If you're installing into plywood, over drill the hole, fill with thickened epoxy, let cure, then drill to appropriate size in the middle of your new epoxy "plugs", and install with appropriate size SS screws and either 5200 or 4200 depending on your preference...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Start in the back and put a couple screws in. Next, pull the rub rail to the bow and put a couple screws in. Then stretch the rubrail over the gunwale. Have some pieces of tape handy to hold the rubrail up it the straight parts. Next, pull the rubrail aft on the other side and repeat. To put the insert in, use a mallet and a rag sprayed down with WD-40.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've used acetone to clean my rub rails, shore power cords. It work well. You have to use clean rags and go over it a few times, every time with a new clean rag. You also need to keep the rag wet with acetone. Don't hold the rag still in one place, keep it moving. If you don't have enough acetone it will evaporate quickly and leave streaks on the plastic. If your rag is dripping acetone everywhere you are using too much. Practice on a small area before you go doing the whole thing to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally installed the Taco Marine rub rail. Wasn’t difficult at all. My wife ended up helping me stretch it when I installed. Stretched quite easily after laying on the driveway for over an hour in

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh, saw that I posted back in November about installing the rub rail. Well Finally tackled it this past weekend. Wasn’t difficult at all and my wife helped. After laying on the driveway at 90+ deg for over an hour the rail was quite flexible and easy to stretch out. Pretty pleased and glad I put it on as the wooden laminated rails were beginning to take a beating. Hope the pics above show off the effort.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, the caulking along the top edge wasn’t so good, had some cleanup to do there but still pleased.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,406 Posts
Looks good
I put my run tail back on after some restore disaster. It was winter but I wanted to get it on. I used a hair dryer and a rubber mallet. I don't want to do that again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had considered putting mine on back in November and to use the hot water or my heat gun. Sounds as though waiting till the weather warmed up was a good decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts