Any Theories?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Hey all. Not really any motor woes, so don't worry.

My Merc does this weird thing it seems like every other trip. I'll start it at the ramp, let it warm up for a few, enter the channel, hop on plane, then the overheat alarm goes off. So, I turn the motor off, let it sit for about 30 secs - 1 min, turn it back on, and the motor cools down to a normal temp. Then it's fine the rest of the day. This has happened 3 times.

Any theories?

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Sticky thermostat.

3. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too.

Have u replace the thermostat yet?

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Alternate universes
    Transdimensional heat tranfer nexus
    Quantum string blockage
    Ghost in the machine
    Gravitational flux gate capacitor

:D

5. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

had it happen once to my merc 4 stroke :eek: pulled away from the ramp and lit my candles :cool: 3 minutes later the alarms going off without any apparent reasons :-? no sign of blockage or anything???? fired it back up and alls well the rest of the day :cool:

6. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

i read this in the am ,thinking thermostat, Brett are you watching toooo much STAR TREK ;)

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Or 'Ya Picked up a Piece of "Snew" when starting off ...Moter gets hot ... Shut off "snew" falls off all good ...

Back in my racing days I put a ball bering in my buddies carb Under the float Valve ... Drove Him Nuts !!!

He got over it LOL ...

Dave

8. rkmurphy

Honestly, I was thinking sticky stat, too. I was planning on replacing it sooner than later. Think it's safe to run sans thermostat for a while? Until I can afford a new $50 one!!

9. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

i had the same problem. brought it to my mechanic and he said it was a unicorn in the muffler. $600 later my motor was running awesome. thanks for not screwing me Mr. Mechanic. I've heard majestic creatures due this to Mercs from time to time.

10. rkmurphy

New thermostat/gaskets are on order as of Thursday. The motor did the same thing this morning.

Is it weird that my motor pees, and always has, completely different on the hose than it does in the water? Stream is very consistent on the hose....not so much on the water. Has brand new water pump and all...

11. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Do Not Know if it works on outboards but on cars I drill a small hole in the thermostat ( NOT the moving part)

12. anytide

its under pressure on the hose,, weak impeller????
    -anytide

13. rkmurphy

Impeller's brand new...whatever...as long as it's not overheating after replacing the stat...

14. rkmurphy

New stat and gasket are installed and ready to go. Hopefully all it well on Friday. The old stat wasn't very pretty...

15. anytide

that t-stat could be the culprit,that little part can screw-up a lot of $$$$.
    -'tide

16. rkmurphy

Well no overheating last trip. Still pees funny at idle. Oh well. Thanks for everything guys!