Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Not really any motor woes, so don't worry.

My Merc does this weird thing it seems like every other trip. I'll start it at the ramp, let it warm up for a few, enter the channel, hop on plane, then the overheat alarm goes off. So, I turn the motor off, let it sit for about 30 secs - 1 min, turn it back on, and the motor cools down to a normal temp. Then it's fine the rest of the day. This has happened 3 times.

Any theories?

·
Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army
5,303 Posts
Sticky thermostat.

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,524 Posts
Alternate universes
Transdimensional heat tranfer nexus
Quantum string blockage
Ghost in the machine
Gravitational flux gate capacitor

:D

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,820 Posts
had it happen once to my merc 4 stroke :eek: pulled away from the ramp and lit my candles :cool: 3 minutes later the alarms going off without any apparent reasons :-? no sign of blockage or anything???? fired it back up and alls well the rest of the day :cool:

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Or 'Ya Picked up a Piece of "Snew" when starting off ...Moter gets hot ... Shut off "snew" falls off all good ...

Back in my racing days I put a ball bering in my buddies carb Under the float Valve ... Drove Him Nuts !!!

He got over it LOL ...

Dave

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I was thinking sticky stat, too. I was planning on replacing it sooner than later. Think it's safe to run sans thermostat for a while? Until I can afford a new $50 one!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
i had the same problem. brought it to my mechanic and he said it was a unicorn in the muffler. $600 later my motor was running awesome. thanks for not screwing me Mr. Mechanic. I've heard majestic creatures due this to Mercs from time to time.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New thermostat/gaskets are on order as of Thursday. The motor did the same thing this morning.

Is it weird that my motor pees, and always has, completely different on the hose than it does in the water? Stream is very consistent on the hose....not so much on the water. Has brand new water pump and all...

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Do Not Know if it works on outboards but on cars I drill a small hole in the thermostat ( NOT the moving part)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its under pressure on the hose,, weak impeller????
                                  -anytide
Impeller's brand new...whatever...as long as it's not overheating after replacing the stat...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New stat and gasket are installed and ready to go. Hopefully all it well on Friday. The old stat wasn't very pretty...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts