Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemna. I have a fiberglass 3 weight rod with all of the components, and all of the tools and materials needed to put it together, and it's still awaiting my attention after a year and a half. But that's okay, that's not my dilemna.

My old fishing partner died from aggressive cancer a few years back, an his wife gave me one of the fly rods (an eight weight Redington rig) I had coaxed him to buy and to learn how to cast. It wasn't an expensive setup, but he derived a lot of joy from it (as did I, from seeing him catch some reds on it with on some flies I'd tied for him). It has some sentimental value to me, and I'd like to see the rig catch some more reds in Greg's memory. It wasn't a very hardy rig; even though it was always rinsed off after being used in salt water, the reel has deteriorated irreparably and the rod's guides have oxidized to the point that they need to be replaced. I have an old Orvis reel that I have transferred the backing and line to mounted on the rod. But I need to have the guides replaced, and I just can't find the time to do it. I need to pay someone to do it, and I'd like to give the job to a fellow microskiffer if anyone's interested. I can bring the rod to you and it's not a rush job; I just hate to see the rig tap out. I live in New Caney and work in The Woodlands area. Anyone want the job?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a dilemna. I have a fiberglass 3 weight rod with all of the components, and all of the tools and materials needed to put it together, and it's still awaiting my attention after a year and a half. But that's okay, that's not my dilemna.

My old fishing partner died from aggressive cancer a few years back, an his wife gave me one of the fly rods (an eight weight Redington rig) I had coaxed him to buy and to learn how to cast. It wasn't an expensive setup, but he derived a lot of joy from it (as did I, from seeing him catch some reds on it with on some flies I'd tied for him). It has some sentimental value to me, and I'd like to see the rig catch some more reds in Greg's memory. It wasn't a very hardy rig; even though it was always rinsed off after being used in salt water, the reel has deteriorated irreparably and the rod's guides have oxidized to the point that they need to be replaced. I have an old Orvis reel that I have transferred the backing and line to mounted on the rod. But I need to have the guides replaced, and I just can't find the time to do it. I need to pay someone to do it, and I'd like to give the job to a fellow microskiffer if anyone's interested. I can bring the rod to you and it's not a rush job; I just hate to see the rig tap out. I live in New Caney and work in The Woodlands area. Anyone want the job?
I live in The Woodlands area and think I can help, but my work schedule doesn’t free up until early December. I build rods as a hobby and don’t sell anything so I’m not looking for money, so if you cover cost of the guides I’ll build it. Shoot me a PM with your #

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jim / I didn’t realize it was you on my phone. I’ll shoot you a text this week and get you set up. You can repay me with some carp fishing one day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts