Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed there for a few days in early February and I don't have a ton of interest in doing the standard trolling in a sportfisher. I'm more interested in chasing roosterfish, mahi, and maybe even the occasional sail from a panga relatively close to shore. Anybody have any info on this area?

Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I went trolling with Jason, of Pedro’s Sportfishing. Got some little albie lookin things and a small rooster.

He told me I could bring the fly rod but I decided against it since it was four of us and Pedro.

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
I went out on a private boat there and you can get then in close. Find a steep drop and you could get them from shore.

You're in the right spot. Papagoyo is also good, a bit north of where you are going. You will need to do a "bait and switch" to get them on fly. Got to get them in feeding mode. That area is not very worldly so you might have a difficult time finding one who speaks English. Try the equivalent of the chamber of commerce and they would know who speaks English.

Sorry I don't know of a guide for you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I went out on a private boat there and you can get then in close. Find a steep drop and you could get them from shore.

You're in the right spot. Papagoyo is also good, a bit north of where you are going. You will need to do a "bait and switch" to get them on fly. Got to get them in feeding mode. That area is not very worldly so you might have a difficult time finding one who speaks English. Try the equivalent of the chamber of commerce and they would know who speaks English.

Sorry I don't know of a guide for you.
How long ago were you there? I went maybe 13 years ago and most people spoke English. Returned with family three years ago and everyone spoke English.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was down in Nosara in May and this is what I came away with. I had more fun on the near shore trips but casting opportunities were sparse to non existent. The outfit we used was more dedicated to trolling and general population skill set fishing and not running and gunning with emphasis on sight fishing. For nearshore i’d have two 10wt rods set up. 1 with floating line if you find fish busting at the surface or for Dorado hanging around floating debris. The other 10wt use for trolling. Remove the fly line and go straight 30lb mono to the backing and 40lb floro leader. I know what everyone is thinking, fly rod, trolling, I know, I know but it was actually pretty fun using my gear on some good fish. Tie up some 3.5” to 4” sardine patterns. Chartreuse/white and purple/black and maybe a few bright colored. Dorado, Bonita and Yellow Fin Tuna will be the common suspects. On a side note, my flys outfished the rapala the captain deployed at least 4-1 so it eventually was pulled so don’t be ashamed to troll with a fly. Kinda like the “fat chick and moped” analogy. Looks like there’s a few river mouths in that area so work those sunrise/sunset and out going tides for Snook. Oh! The pineapple down there is FANTASTIC!!! Makes ours here in the states taste like flavored wax. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was in San Juan Del Sur, Nica, 2 years ago and took my 10 weight with the idea of casting for Roosters. I didn't have any shots at them but did end up catching a few snapper off of the rocky ledges.

The problem during my trip was the surf was just too strong and my fly kept getting hung up on rocks.

We did take a panga out fishing for a morning and caught 4-5 Mahi, 2 Big Amberjacks, and several small tuna (which we cut up and ate on the boat with wasabi and soy). But I did not get the chance to troll with a fly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts