Any preferred trailer hub grease?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by hferrell87, Oct 15, 2014.

1. hferrell87

hferrell87 Well-Known Member

Trying to stay ahead of the trailer maintenance and curious of peoples opinions with grease for trailer hubs. I understand any grease is better than no grease, but would like to stick with quality products whenever I have the choice.

Thanks for any input...

2. Bob_Rogers

Bob_Rogers I Love microskiff.com!

Avoid Lubrimatic.

Strongly recommend CRC Marine Wheel Bearing grease, been using it for over 20 years with zero failures.

More importantly, know what is in your bearings now and don't top up with a grease that has a different base.

3. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I use the multi purpose automotive grease for under half the cost of the anything with "Marine" or "Boat" on the label, and change the grease twice a year.

If you change it while the bearings are still warm from a long road trip, I feel it does a better job of pushing out the old warm grease that has a lower viscosity than the new ambient temperature grease.

I never just add grease because it only takes just a few minutes longer to change, and since I only wet launch & load, I want to know if I've got a seal going bad.

I think this is what I've been getting from Gordon at CFM for $4.

http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/lubricant-grease/valvoline-14-1-oz-399-728-g-multipurpose-grease-tube/232567/?_requestid=11239335

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Dont use teflon grease

5. hferrell87

hferrell87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys!

6. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Sorry for the late correction. The grease I've been using is Valvoline auto but it's for disc brake applications and has a wider temperature range. Especially on the upper end.

http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/lubricant-grease/valvoline-14-1-oz-399-728-g-gm-chrysler-european-and-japanese-vehicles-multipurpose-grease-tube/54182_0_0/