Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a couple of close calls but Saturday morning I finally did it. Put a red on the gunnel to get the hook out and didn’t rinse the gunnel off. Walked back from the bait well to the bow barefooted and slipped on the slime. Tried to catch my balance but realized it was too late and in the drink I went. Luckily the water was deep enough that I didn’t touch the bottom and cut my feet up. The thought of bull sharks in the area got my fat ass back in the boat pretty quickly. I think I need to be a little more careful and wiser as I get older and curious if anyone else has fallen off their skiff?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
Fell out of a Gladesman during a wet test. That was entertaining.

Have fallen off platforms into the boat a couple of times, but never into the water...yet.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
421 Posts
I know I’m gonna probably jinx myself but I’ve never fallen out of the boat and into the WATER. Have had some close calls but my inner Baryshnikov has always bailed me out. I did, however, catch the edge of the gunnel while climbing out of my 22’ Pathfinder and fell face first onto my driveway. Scared the bejeeces out of me. Sore bones but no injuries.

...then there’s the time my buddy hit the throttle in his CC juuuust before I could grab the T-top. Flew all the way to the back and dislocated a rib hitting the rear seat. Thought I was going out the back but managed to fall down inside the boat.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Fallen off the platform into the cockpit in Louisianna and off of the transom into the water in Florida. Florida i was losing my balance and rather than go in willy nilly i kinda jumped a little so I landed on my feet and jumped right back in.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
years ago my son and I went out with fishing guide Kyle Messier. he had a big Sundance (22 ft I think) with a big console and raised seating for the driver. I was standing on the gunnel casting with my back against the console structure when the boat took a big roll from a wake. the structure prevented me from throwing my weight back to balance so when I knew I was going in I just hopped out of the boat. It was about 16" deep so I hopped back on. He laughed and said he hadn't seen that before.

a couple of months ago I had my daughter and grand daughter out fishing the mangroves. my daughter got tangled in a mangrove so we motored over to get the lure untangled. she was standing on the gunnel when I grabbed a branch to pull us close and another branch gave her a push and she fell backwards into the water flat on her back. I was almost able to grab her coat before she went in but I just missed. she climbed back in with me apologizing for laughing my ass off. It was pretty cold so I gave her my coat and we hauled ass but it was a long cold ride for her. she took it like a champ though. no complaining.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I’ve fallen off the poling platform in the water because the guy up front jumped off to the side off the casting platform and threw me.
I fell off a bay boat when my buddy’s 65 year old uncle hit the throttle right when I got in from wading. He dragged me about 20 feet while I was hanging on to the boarding ladder before he realized I was about to barefoot ski.
Got chunked off a jet ski doing 55 (she was hot as hell and wanted to take me for a ride) I got a saltwater enema on that one.
Fell off the boat offshore while snapper fishing when a rogue wave rocked the boat and I was fighting a big ling.
Fell off the deck a few times for various reasons but never slipped on fish slime. That’s kind of a noble way to go!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
86 Posts
I slipped off the deck of my HPX while wet testing it. I grabbed the poling platform and luckily the old owner grabbed my hand and helped me back up but mostly wet with cell phone in pocket!

·
Mount Pleasant, SC
202 Posts
Certainly off many boats, but most on my gladesmen(MANY TIMES), and fell off a sporty tower offshore one time while steaming in, luckily one of the charter saw me otherwise I wouldn't be writing this!:eek:

Reactions: BobGee

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Twice.

Once when I was in my early teens. Estero bay. First time out on my uncles new boat. Not used to where the non skid was on it. We were drifting across an oyster bar when I slipped off. Ended up at the hospital with a gazillion cuts and stitches, thankfully no diseases.

Second time, Estero bay (I stay away from this place now lol) just caught the edge of the gunnel wrong and slipped right in. The rolled, smooth gunnels on ActionCrafts are a bitch.

I’ve fallen off the piling platform once into the boat. Thankfully I landed on my feet

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,178 Posts
I honestly don't know how I haven't! So many close calls including this past weekend...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
462 Posts
One time I remember was similar to an experience already shared. Was in a tournament and was walking a 26" red down the gunnel to put in the livewell. Lost my balance and fell overboard in about 4 feet of water...in February in Jacksonville in 38 degree air temp. Luckily I threw the fish in the boat as I was falling. It was a cold rest of the day

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes. I don’t have one of those backrests on platform (I think some call them sissy bars?) but if someone gave one to me and installed for free I’d gladly add. Always have the habit of holding on to push pole pushing hard sand for 5 min and you hit that one pocket of mud the pole sticks in!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts