Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder about some of the 8 foot (ish) rods like the Sage Bass series and the Orvis Recon 7 foot 11 inch rods for eight, nine and ten weight lines, and similar rods from other makers.

Who's fishing them and/or who has cast them enough to have an opinion?
Your informed opinions please.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I had a whole quiver of Scott Meridians, which I have pared down to one rod: Meridian 8'4" 10 weight. I generally underline it with a 9 weight. Light as most 8 weights, even with a Riptide class reel. It throws beautiful laser tight loops. Great for mangrove fishing, but also flats fishing on windy days.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've got an 8ft 8wt TFO Mini Magnum for throwing sinking lines. I haven't had a chance to do anything except lawn cast it, but it shoots well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In general, what is the reason to throw shorter than 9ft rods? Are they more accurate?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have an 8 ft Echo fiberglass rod. Haven't fished it all that much but it should be a lot of fun. Supposed to load and unload slower and absorb shocks better.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Picked up a used 10wt BPS. Heat, 7'10" paired with a Behemoth reel and spooled with a SA. Mastery line. Original owner got for bass in the salad, but never used it much. At the time I bought just for a beginning rod to throw at any ignorant tarpon that I crossed paths with. Actually casts decent with that line and i'll use it for bass now that I have a 12.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Its a tool for certain situations. I primarily use mine for dirty water sight fishing. In those situations you don't typically see the fish till you are close. Once you see the fish you need a quick, accurate cast. When the water is gin clear and you need a longer more delicate presentation I go to a normal 9ft rod.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What weight rod would you equate the 230gr to?
All these Bass rods are weird, for lack of a better term. For example the 290gr can throw anything from an 8wt to a 10wt but fights like an 8wt in my opinion. Same with the 230gr. Can throw anything from a 6wt to a 8wt line depending on how you want it to react but fights like a 6wt. The 230gr is good around trout dock lights or smaller poon. The 290gr is good redfish/dock light/ juvi poon type rod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I built a 7' 2 weight Diamondback rod back in the early 90s when they were still building their blanks in Vermont. I used this rod specifically for a short stretch of a creek that was near my college that was loaded with wild and stocked trout. This stretch of water was narrow with a ton of branches forming a tunnel over the creek. Frequently I had to get down on my knees in the creek and do a side-arm cast in order to present a fly, and anything longer than seven feet would not have worked.

In the salt I have only 9' rods, although for a while I used the Bob Popovics 10'6" St. Croix for fishing the surf a few blocks from my house. I don't have any mangroves up here in NJ like you guys down south do, but I could see a shorter rod paying dividends in some of the mangrove creeks that I dream about fishing. Also as el9surf said they are perfect for when you need to make a quick cast in dirtier water while site fishing.

Like anything, there is a right time for the right tool.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
739 Posts
I’m pretty sure one reason for them is that the 7’11” rods qualify for tournament bass fishing. I’ve never read that rule, but have read that on the description.

I have a very short 3wt Aetos that is super fun in Hill Country rivers.

Reactions: jackson man

·
Registered
927 Posts
Forgot to mention the 4wt TFO. 8' Professional I have. Caught a ton of trout in the Black Hills of SD when I lived there. Was perfect for those small streams there. Also have a 7'9" 3wt St Croix Legend Ultra that is fun for small streams also. Both cast well. Line control after the cast isn't quite as easy as a longer rod.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I’m pretty sure one reason for them is that the 7’11” rods qualify for tournament bass fishing. I’ve never read that rule, but have read that on the description.

I have a very short 3wt Aetos that is super fun in Hill Country rivers.
The 7'11" was originally designed to get in under the 8' rod length limit for BASS but it was amended in the last two years to now a 10' rod limit. Not that it really matters but that was the original thought behind the rod series.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
The 7'11" was originally designed to get in under the 8' rod length limit for BASS but it was amended in the last two years to now a 10' rod limit. Not that it really matters but that was the original thought behind the rod series.
At this point I think Sage does the rod a disservice by labeling it BASS. I think folks have found certain scenarios where the short rod is a better tool for the job. I'm willing to bet people pass it up because they aren't fishing for bass so they think it's not the right rod for what they are targeting. I look at fly rods like screwdrivers. I have a tool box full of different screwdrivers for a reason.

I personally think the bass 290 fights closer to a 7 weight but as nativejax mentioned they are wired rods. It will cast a big line. Having said that it's not a broom stick. The majority of shorter rods I have seen have no feel, they are stiff from butt to tip. That's why I like the sage 290. I would love to cast one of the shorter meridians, haven't got my hands on one yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i really like like the sage bass 290. I used it on a 3 days everglades trip throwing poppers along the mangroves. It worked great and was overall a fun rod to fish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I posted a WTB for the Orvis Recon in same length. The Meridians are one of my favorite rods in any length, but 8’4” seems like it is not short enough to truly make me want to use it as a “short rod”. Although we are really only talking about 13”, from a normal length rod, but as you can tell, opinions are widely varied and some have very strong opinions one way or the other.

On a center console, fishing heavy current and deep water along rocks, cliffs and manmade structures, I’d think the short rod could be perfect….just trying to figure out which one.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts