Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally get time to get out today and it was brutal. First off Williams ramp is closed. That was a nice surprise. Then I forgot my ghetto fly line basket and line went everywhere. Especially under the gunnels and catching on the rod racks. Then it caught on the console and platform. I went solo today. Glad i got out, always thankful for that, but frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If a fly line can catch on something its just a matter of time before it does. I push everything on the floor away from the front deck, drape a wet towel over my trolling motor if its on there. Don't have any cleats or rod holders on the front either, keeps it clean. Those rubber line mats work well but are hella expensive. Somebody posted a DIY version with a door mat and zip ties I've been meaning to make

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Only reason I was on the water yesterday was Red Fly. It was basically a worst case scenario for fly fishing in our area. So don't feel too bad. ;)

As far as fly line management yesterday we tried to keep the wind at our back so the line was blown out of the boat rather than into the cockpit. We use a Carbon Marine Line Lair instead of a bucket. (Bucket takes up too much space and would have been blown over sideways yesterday.) Another option would be to use one of those wading style buckets that keeps the line up and off the deck and close to your body while standing on the bow.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,489 Posts
My laundry basket is bungeed to the yeti .Wind is no problem. I can even run slowly with it

Reactions: nautilott

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,094 Posts
I use a homemade basket ALWAYS. Made from a collapsible hamper with two layers of sport flooring in the bottom. Top layer has 1/4" foam cylinders to prevent line tangles while running. See the fish, grab the basket, line is already stripped, cast to fish. Hamper collapses to save room. With only one layer of sport flooring the basket will blow out at around 40 MPH with the rod in it. Don't ask.
IMG_20170429_104636963_HDR.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Glue the layers of sport flooring together, sandwiching the mesh bottom between the two.
Ah ha! Smart. I may try this using some of the carbon marine spikes I have left over.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
That's Backwater on my Skiff with the ghetto catcher. Thing works well, I made one too but left it home. Do you find the Mangrove hip one too high for your stripping hand?
No, I usually have a belt on and I take it out of the loop on the left side of my pants, this lets it hang down a little bit on that side, positions the basket perfectly and lets me look a little gangster at the same time win/win. lol I have also used a bungee to run through and then hook to my belt loops, hold everything nice and secure and I don't have to mess with my belt or adjust my pants.

I also tilt it a bit fwd like Ted has that BHaasket in the photo. Fly line goes right in.

Nothing is perfect for every scenario, when I am off the beach on the hook waiting for migrators, I will bungee the basket to the front of the sissy bar and have my line stripped off and ready. In that situation I'm usually not stripping line in and out a lot, just getting ready and waiting for a shot. Just start experimenting and you'll come up with a system that works for you. It may be the same as someone else or completely different, or a mix of other ideas.

Advice: when you go out and start testing stuff, have a couple bungees, a handful of zip ties, duct tape, and box cutter with you. You'll be able to change near about anything that's not working for you, even if it's only temporary to make it work for the day until you can get back to the hill for a proper fix.

Let us know what you come up with!

LH

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I usually have a belt on and I take it out of the loop on the left side of my pants, this lets it hang down a little bit on that side, positions the basket perfectly and lets me look a little gangster at the same time win/win. lol I have also used a bungee to run through and then hook to my belt loops, hold everything nice and secure and I don't have to mess with my belt or adjust my pants.

I also tilt it a bit fwd like Ted has that BHaasket in the photo. Fly line goes right in.

Nothing is perfect for every scenario, when I am off the beach on the hook waiting for migrators, I will bungee the basket to the front of the sissy bar and have my line stripped off and ready. In that situation I'm usually not stripping line in and out a lot, just getting ready and waiting for a shot. Just start experimenting and you'll come up with a system that works for you. It may be the same as someone else or completely different, or a mix of other ideas.

Advice: when you go out and start testing stuff, have a couple bungees, a handful of zip ties, duct tape, and box cutter with you. You'll be able to change near about anything that's not working for you, even if it's only temporary to make it work for the day until you can get back to the hill for a proper fix.

Let us know what you come up with!

LH
Thanks LH. Can’t stop laughing at BHasket terminology!

·
Sight Fishing South Florida
826 Posts
Joe,

The cockpit and line mat work wonders while sight fishing. Allow a few loops to fall back into the cockpit and the rest drooped over the mat. The mat is great with the wind from behind you and the cockpit works wonders while your casting head on into the wind. Baskets/buckets work well if you plan on blind casting a lot in windy conditions. If you have a bunch of crap in your skiff to catch fly line on, get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts