Any BBQ'ers out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Megalops, May 26, 2012.

1. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

I really fell in love with q'ing.  Nothing big for this long weekend, firing up the Big Green Egg right now and just grilling some steaks when it comes up to temp.  Usually, I'll do a pork butt, some ribs and chicken.  Also have a Weber Smokey Mountain Bullet.  Love that thing for uber large amounts.  Anyways, gotta say I absolutely suck at brisket.  Have never ever smoked a good, fall apart, melt in your mouth brisket.  Any pointers for brisket? 

2. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

wrap it in foil fat side up -cook it slow and low ,looong time
    then out of foil on rack fat side up to drip it off and baste /glaze /season etc.
    - :cool:

ps - dont chew your finners off eating it...

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Don't forget to keep the water pan full of steaming liquid
    so it's a moist, not dry, heat. Don't refill with cold liquid!

4. anytide

when i make my famous pizl ribs i do that. a tray of water steaming away with all the drippins going in there with some liquid smoke spices and all dat gooood stuff. ;)
    -a

5. Megalops

So, you're wrapping the brisket first??  Or as they say in Tejas, you're crutching first?  :)  Well, I give 'er a try.  Never ever thought of wrapping first, then unwrapping - always the reverse of that process.  But shoot, after seeing those pics of your whole hog roast - I'm gonna listen!

Brett, definitely on the water pan -at least with the Bullet!  Just have never mastered a good brisket...and it kills me.

6. anytide

bring over a couple cases o heineken and some jack and i'll walk you thru it ...
    :) ;) :cool:

-in tejas we wrap dove breasts in bacon and put those in a split acorn squash then wrap with foil and give it the slow n low... ;)

7. Megalops

Okay man! As long as it's Heineken in the cans.

8. Megalops

Well, one of my buddies at work is in insane shape.  Says he's doing the Paleo Diet.  Well, here's my mimmic of the diet, cedar planked salmon on the Big Green Egg.  Final pic of final product a tad blurry...

Salmon on cedar plank, brined in simple brine 1 hr before plankage:

[​IMG]

Put on Big Green Egg at about 320F, smokin' away:
    [​IMG]

Right before pulling, sorry, blurry pic.  Kids went crazy, so did I, served with cucumber and radish relish, quinoa, broc and cauliflower..  White junk on salmon is pellicle, from brining.  Looks knarly but El Yummo:

[​IMG]

9. jones4tone

jones4tone I Love microskiff.com!

I use one of these steel sidecar deals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use mustard or olive oil to rub the meat down.  Then I put a dry rub on as thick as i can and wrap it in wax-paper or plastic wrap then aluminum foil and leave it in the fridge a day or two. 

I smoke with the temp between 225 and 240.  Laying the brisket on a non stick cookie cooling rack I place the rack inside a disposable aluminum baking pan to collect the juices.  Most of the juices in fact evaporate during the cooking process. I've heard of doing it fat side up but I tend to trim some fat off and leave the meat leaner looking.  In my opinion it's better to leave the lid shut on the smoker than it is to mop it with sauce.  I then smoke the brisket for 2 hours or so on each side.   If it's a huge brisket maybe a little longer.  Then I wrap the brisket up in aluminum foil. Quickly as possible to not lose too much heat. After that if I feel lazy I finish it off in the same pan wrapped in aluminum foil in the oven.  Or place it back into the smoker if I want to monitor the smoker. 

I know with my smoker I can control the heat range much better than my old electric stove but either way it turns out tender.  The trick is to cook until you reach an internal temp of at least 190 degrees slow as possible for the brisket to be tender. Yes the meat is done @ 165 degrees but it will eat like shoe leather.

You can leave the brisket in the smoker unwrapped the whole time but from my experience after 3-4 hours you have a perfect smoke ring. When the brisket reach's the 190 point I pull it out and set it on the counter for an hour before cutting.  Unless I'm ravenously hungry...

Of importance is the type of wood.  I've used a lot of different types of wood but for me the king is hickory. I love smoking with hickory its just the best to my taste buds.  I like maple, apple, pecan, oak, and mesquite too but mesquite can get bitter if over done and oak has a funny flavor to me. 

10. Megalops

Nice set up Jonesie! Awesome cooking volume on that, you could even smoke cheese too with the offset box. Killer man! Gonna try a brisket on Sunday... :)

11. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Mmmm this threads makin me hungry!!!

12. mhinkle90

mhinkle90 Let it scream!!!

you aint lying!!! how about yall cook some of that ol bbq up for the rally :cool:

13. jones4tone

jones4tone I Love microskiff.com!

I'm not sure I will be able to attend. I would love to meet folks and see all the boats but my work week is from tue-sat.

14. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

My last brisket turned out to be my best ever and I somehow followed Jonesie's process to a T without even knowing it.
    My last name is Jones even. How weird is that. :)

15. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Picked up the el cheapo electric smoker from home depot 70 bucks on sat. Had good reveiws and figure I can learn on a cheap smoker and always upgrade down the road. First run on the smoker was 2 full racks of baby backs and a pork shoulder. I was blown away how good the ribs came out for my first time. The shoulder was good but need a little more perfecting. Next time I want to change up the rub a little but I think Iam on the right track. Emailed Mel (hope he sees this ;)) to see if he will share hes copperhead bbq sauce recipe. The stuff is awsome and all the store bought sauces are to thick. Few picks from the weekend
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Should have taken a pic of the finish product. Maybee next time

17. Megalops

Let the addiction begin! What's next? Chicken, turkey, mackerel? :)

18. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

Megalops, do you have the plate setter for your egg? For long slow low temp smokes its a must have. It turns the egg into a convection oven. With the plate setter in place its almost fool proof to smoke a brisket on the egg. Also with brisket its important to get a good cut of meat with the right fat ratio. I find the grocery stores have poor selection compared to a local meat market. You dont need to wrap the brisket in foil in the egg. Use a water pan and thats it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Megalops

Yes, I have a plate setter. I'm thinking ur right about the grade of brisket. I usually get most of my meat at Sams club, can't recall where I purchased my last brisket. Great pics btw! The egg is like one of those info mercials, set it and forget it!   :)

My wife hates pizza on the egg, says its too smokey, but I love it!!

20. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

A hand trimmed brisket from a butcher will turn out much better than what you will get at sams club. In my experience the larger the brisket the better as it will not dry out and yeild more servings. When the brisket is done, shave fine layers off and place between two pieces of fresh baked french bread and provolone cheese and sliced onion. Use the foil to wrap your sandwhich and put it on the egg for a few minutes and serve with a jus.

For your pizza, the key to not having a smokey pizza is to find a higher grade lump coal, clean out the fire box the best you can then fill the fire box halfway or almost to the top. Allow the fire to burn down and the coal to burn down until there is no black left on the coal. Mix the coal around every 20-30 minutes until all the coal is burning. When you notice less smoke is coming from the fire put your pie on. When there is only about 2-3 handfuls of white coal left in the fire box there should no smoke coming up. Since you will use alot of coal for 1-2 pizzas its best to cook a pizza after you have grilled or smoked. You get a smokey pizza because some of the lump coal has not burned.