Any air rifle owners out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Recidivists, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

My decision to purchase an entry repeating PCP rifle lies between a Marauder and the new Hatsan AT44-10 long QE.  Both in .22 and synthetic stock.

I'm wondering if the QE suppressor would be comparable to a better aftermarket silencer.  TKO will even make a suppressor for the already quiet M-Rod.

My use will be a mix of  65% target (some in backyard), 10% pest rats, and 25% squirrel hunting (as rabbit and squirrel were just allowed to be harvested by air rifle by FWC). 

I'm not going to list more about these rifles, as I'm looking for more knowledgeable replies.  Should I up to .25 for rabbit/squirrel?  .22 has always been enough for me.

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

I would stick with the 22. Youll lose too much velocity with the 25 to make it worth it, especially for squirrels and bunnies. I used to hunt with Air guns all the time when I was young. I didn't have anything terribly fancy. Just a 1.77 gamo and a 22 RWS. The gamo sucked because it was too fast and too small of a round and would always pass through on squirrels even with a hollow point. It was only good for headshots. The 22 was awesome. Anywhere you hit the squirrel it had the perfect amount t of power to knock it off the tree first shot. If the shot didnt kill it the fall usually did, and made for easy retrieval.

3. Recidivists

High velocity usually comes at the expense of accuracy and the at44-10 long will beam those .22 at 1070fps, breaking the sound barrier.  Not always a good thing. Another reason for going with a shorter barrel on the same gun, or with the Marauder.

BTW Diana (RWS is the american dealer) is coming out with their own german built nitro piston. It looks VERY tempting, but I'm going straight to PCP's for the accuracy and the lack of abuse to scopes.  The Crosman nitro piston2 is turning out to be a quality control fiasco with its recent release.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

22 pellets at 900 plus fps (sub-sonic)do a number on tree rats and floppy ears.
    Accuracy from my RWS 54 AirKing is about 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards (outdoors)
    Yes, it is a springer and will eat a cheap scope. Thought about going pcp but the cost of
    the extras made me decide to stick with a springer. Economical to shoot compared to ammo.
    Same skill set without the loud noise and expense.

[​IMG]

5. Recidivists

I knew Brett would be in this field.

This will be my first air rifle purchase (besides the Benjamin pumps i had as a kid) and wanted a gun that could I could conceivably shoot standing. 

Brett, does the artillery hold present a tough time getting used to?  I don't have any issue bench, or bipod firing.

Have you seen the new Diana 340 n-tec offering?  Diana may put the piston in the 350 magnum, as well.  Getting an RWS (Diana) can be pretty expensive, too.  An RWS 54 goes for $595 now. Glad to see you know quality.

I will probably wait until all the nitro piston products are introduced and have worked through their respective issues.

Diana now has a new rebounding scope mount, too.  I know that more than a few scope manufacturers are making air rifle scopes for springers and nitros.  I'm considering a Hawke AirMax 3-9x40 or a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40.  Both AO adjustable parallax down to 10 yards.

I have two 80 cf aluminum scuba tanks available for $40 bucks total and my local dive shop makes fills for just over $3, eliminating the need for a pump (which I might get anyhow).  The Hatsan has removable tanks which would be convenient in the field.

Tuning would be done by myself.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Just like any projectile thrower, you have to figure out what works.
    Shooting in the woods I lay the air rifle across my forearm to let it recoil.
    On the bench it produces best accuracy as set up in the posted pic.
    Can't put it in a rest or rear bag, has to balance on the forestock to function.

I looked at the less expensive airguns, not impressed.
    Considering I spend 15 bucks a box of 50 for match 22lr ammo
    spending 10 bucks for pellets in 500 round tins means the Air King is paying for itself.

If I was a scuba diver I'd go with a pcp, but for backyard plinking
    close range varmint control and small game for the cook pot
    the RWS 54 does the job.