Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to Dana Point, CA (Laguna Nigel) in early June for a business meeting. Will be staying on the beach and am considering bringing a flyrod for some day break fishing before the meetings start.
Anyone have any experience with the area?
I have watched a few Youtube videos of the area... but I have no idea what to expect.
Thank you for any tips that can be shared.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
Can fish off the rocks in Laguna for calico bass. Off sand beaches for corbina, halibut and surf perch. Hit Dana Point harbor for calico, spotted and sand bass. If you can get out on a boat, mako fishing! Might be a bit early but super fun. Lots of options if you want to go out on a boat.

Overall, never found beach fishing in SD County where I lived all that exciting. If you are there and have the time, might as well give it a whirl.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i am in Dana Point right now!! I am here every weekend as my mom lives here and I bring my kid to hang with Grandma!

The harbor is really mediocre and overfished.

The beaches nearby are very good for Corbina and June is a good time. You want to fish corbina around the low tide and hope for small surf. 6wt -8wt rod with either intermediate or sink tip ( bring both)... i use a 7wt with a 200g sink line. You want the fly to track on the bottom and stir up the sand and because of the wave action you need that line to stick to the bottom.

Oh and many say Corbina are harder to catch than Permit! They are tough but its fun because you are walking beautiful beaches in socal getting your feet wet.

If you surf by chance San Clemente / Dana Point area are some of the best breaks in California for all skill levels.

June is also a very good time for off shore for Yellowfin and bonita.

Send me a PM and we can hop on the phone and I can give you info and if you are here on a weekend i could probably meet up.

Kerry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. Kerry, I will PM you. Thank you for the offer.

I can't wait to check out the area.... and maybe wet a line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts