Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a question about UV, and for other various fly tying head cements. And that is residual scents. Does UV, Sally's, head cements emit odors that fish detect and then reject our offerings? Obviously we all catch fish with flies that have these materials, but do some fish turn away from certain flies that are "smelly"? I've detected strong odors coming from fly boxes with freshly tied flies, especially those tied with Sally's it seems ,in the past. Such that I never put newly tied flies in a box until they have sat in the open for some time. Always speculated whether odors permeate the materials and leave a scent trail in the water? I've read where some carp anglers will not use head cements because of odor. Also years ago read where some bait anglers wash their hands frequently to keep human scent off their offerings. What say you?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had a question about UV, and for other various fly tying head cements. And that is residual scents. Does UV, Sally's, head cements emit odors that fish detect and then reject our offerings? Obviously we all catch fish with flies that have these materials, but do some fish turn away from certain flies that are "smelly"? I've detected strong odors coming from fly boxes with freshly tied flies, especially those tied with Sally's it seems ,in the past. Such that I never put newly tied flies in a box until they have sat in the open for some time. Always speculated whether odors permeate the materials and leave a scent trail in the water? I've read where some carp anglers will not use head cements because of odor. Also years ago read where some bait anglers wash their hands frequently to keep human scent off their offerings. What say you?
Agree with your thoughts and won't use the nail polish stuff. Can't stand that smell when applying it and then the smell lingers. Having said that, I'll bet there are lots and lots of fish caught on flies made with it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't think glue scent causes any negative issues, but I generally omit any adhesives when I can and dislike hard, heavy epoxy and UV shells and heads. I use a thin as possible coating of UV loon thin on the back of a shrimp pattern, just enough to mostly hold the fibers in place. That pattern will work even stationary to where a fish, redfish, drum, fish that hunt by sight and scent, will pick it off the bottom so I theory the fish has time to examine the fly for anything off-putting like a chemical odor.

The Borski sliders I tie have zero glue added. Gartside soft hackle streamers, also have zero adhesive. Steve Farrar blend baitfish have a little CA behind the eyes and a little UV over the nose and forehead.

I've been out fishing with a zero glue applied redfish crack and then added a little UV to the thread wraps working loose with fish teeth damage and saw no decrease in the takes after the glue getting added.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't think glue scent causes any negative issues, but I generally omit any adhesives when I can and dislike hard, heavy epoxy and UV shells and heads. I use a thin as possible coating of UV loon thin on the back of a shrimp pattern, just enough to mostly hold the fibers in place. That pattern will work even stationary to where a fish, redfish, drum, fish that hunt by sight and scent, will pick it off the bottom so I theory the fish has time to examine the fly for anything off-putting like a chemical odor.

The Borski sliders I tie have zero glue added. Gartside soft hackle streamers, also have zero adhesive. Steve Farrar blend baitfish have a little CA behind the eyes and a little UV over the nose and forehead.

I've been out fishing with a zero glue applied redfish crack and then added a little UV to the thread wraps working loose with fish teeth damage and saw no decrease in the takes after the glue getting added.
I guess the primary reason I don't use the nail polish is that it bothers me more than the fish. Hate working with that stuff. The Loon hard head is odorless, and the CA glues are tolerable and seem to be odorless after they cure.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,062 Posts
Ive used Sally for years. Caught lots of fish on them. I don't think the fish care

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Yes, it matters and I've proven the point time after time over the years. I'll go out of my way to only use glues and head cement type products that don't either have a scent or don't have a scent after cured. I'll even go as far as not using any head cement at all if I've got some very picky fish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I second the pro-cure idea. I do put a dab on my flies and slather up stick baits. Figure it cant hurt and even loon UV does have a plastic scent days later.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I second the pro-cure idea
Master-baters? :)

BTW,
some years back
(many years back for the youngyuns here)

There was a video
(used real video tape too)
circulating at the fishing/boat shows where the guys are trolling for salmon and the debate is that scent may play a role that can increase strikes or dissuade strikes.

Trolling with down riggers with a camera mounted watching the anchovies being used for bait we were treated to see the fish after fish "grabs".
Then they started tossing the anchovies into some bilge water, with diesel and oil mixed in. We were then treated to grab after grab as the bilge watered anchovies were eaten...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts