Another GPS question

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Delmer, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Delmer

Delmer I Love microskiff.com!

I am looking at the Lowrance Elite 4M GPS. How can I tell if it will work properly on a 12v 7 amp hr battery or something about that size. Not sure what I am looking for in the specs. for the unit.

Thanks

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Manuals/SONAR-DSI_INSTALL_EN_988-10169-001.pdf

3 amp fuse, 12 volt supply

looks like you'd get about 2 to 3 hours out of a 7 amp hour battery.

3. Delmer

I think I found the answer on one of the self service tech pages. It says power consumption with backlight on is .75 amp so that should give me a good full day on the water and a second charged battery is small enough to carry on trips.

Thanks

4. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

I have made many FF/GPS portable and the 7AH batteries needed to be replaced often. You most likely will want to go with a larger than 7 AH battery. The GPS will draw it below 12V near 3/4 of day fishing. When those little 7AH battery get drawn to 11V a few times they are about toast. Around 12AH will get you through full day and end up around 12V.

5. Delmer

Thanks Carolinajim,

I have used the 7amp hr in my canoe and kayak but never for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time with good results but moving up to a 12 amp hr makes sense for a full day.