Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Scout 162 Sportfish
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the move up to Ann Arbor for school this fall, seen some cool stuff so far on the Huron River. It’s weird being away from saltwater but I’m making the most of it! Fishing the past two weeks has been super fun trying to figure out new fish, and on the fly these guys are beasts.
Water Sky Plant Tree Railway
Water Vertebrate Azure Lake Watercourse
Cap Sleeve Hat Font Sportswear
Water Watch Lake Fish Fishing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Love the pictures. We have a river near me that is supposed to be a great smallmouth river but its not really wading friendly. Need to get a boat so I can start chasing the brown bass around when the stripers aren't cooperating.

·
Registered
2005 Bass Cat Phelix
13 Posts
Looks like a great time! What weight fly rod are you using for those guys? They’re a ton of fun on a 3 or 4 weight

·
Registered
15 Posts
They rise like trout in the evenings used to go with my dad and fish them on 4 wt rods white wulff pattern. Dexter Huron park

·
Brandon, FL
11,560 Posts
Apple orchard- salmon, steelhead
County park- released trout

Trekker is right.

Gotta go N to catch native trout.

You're in good hands with the club.

Go Blue

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
278 Posts
MI has steelhead (probably right now).
Don't know if the waters are fly fishing friendly though.
If you like how small mouths pull on your string, then you'll love steelhead.
Forget the steelhead, chinooks are my favorite Michigan fish

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like a great time! What weight fly rod are you using for those guys? They’re a ton of fun on a 3 or 4 weight
They rise like trout in the evenings used to go with my dad and fish them on 4 wt rods white wulff pattern. Dexter Huron park
What size smallies are you guys catching with 4wts? Smallmouth from my local river are typically in the 2 - 4 pound range. With the way they fight back, hooking one with a 4wt would feel like a snag, never mind trying to summon it from the depths of vegetation.

Summer and fall, in particular, I'm tossing bigger (6-10") streamers and topwaters/divers with my 8wt.

They are fun, aggressive fish to catch. I watched this ~2 pounder steal a 9" streamer from a ~36" pike I was targeting when it missed it's first strike.

Water Plant Beak Lake Watercourse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plenty of Kings in the rivers on the West side of the state right now. Muskegon, White, and Pere Marquette. Steelhead following soon.
What do things look like in the spring on the west side? I’ve got some long lost folks in Muskegon I’m due to visit, thinking April time as I’ll be in Detroit around then anyway.

(edited to add quote)

·
Registered
9 Posts
What do things look like in the spring on the west side? I’ve got some long lost folks in Muskegon I’m due to visit, thinking April time as I’ll be in Detroit around then anyway.

(edited to add quote)
There are very good numbers of steelhead in all of the rivers as well. The Muskegon will hold fish through the winter and pick up big time in the spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts