Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a few different skiffs right now and the Native 17 is among them. I was curious if any owners could chime in on any experience having their family on board with them. (stability for kids etc.)

Additionally, any pictures of creative ideas how you may have it set up for extra/maximum seating would be super helpful.

Thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 17ft tiller made in 2011. Hull #10 I believe. Have a bench seat oriented sideways just in front of the small tiller console/grab bar. Have a poling platform and a taller casting platform up front just shy of the bow and a trolling motor mounted that usually is off. Love the setup for fly fishing and works well for spin casting 2 guys. I regularly take my wife and two boys (4 and 7) out fishing and to the sandbar and we do just fine. Stability has never been an issue for them. When they fishing, I'm constantly going back and forth from bow to stern and will occasionally walk the gunwales (sp??). I keep a small bait bucket with bubler on the floor and we usually have a Yeti Hopper somewhere on board out of the way. Everything works right now as they are little dudes. Wondering about that in a few years however. This boat continues to amaze me and my friends that come fishing. I routinely pole in 5-6 inches of water with 2 guys and when i hit bottom in the pluff mud, i can still spin it around and move off. when crossing the St Johns river, Ponce Inlet in the Glades, etc. you may get a little wet but with the electronic trim tabs adjusted right, the steep bow eats chop surprisingly well. Im convinced the funny bow profile of this skiff is why more people dont get it, but damn if it works well. Ill see if I have some pics...

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
I am looking at a few different skiffs right now and the Native 17 is among them. I was curious if any owners could chime in on any experience having their family on board with them. (stability for kids etc.)

Additionally, any pictures of creative ideas how you may have it set up for extra/maximum seating would be super helpful.

Thank you!
I've owned 2 Native SUV 17's and loved them both. My second one was set up lodge style. I set up a guide box perpendicular to the gunnels with a grab bar so 2 people could sit in front of while I drove the tiller. I never had any issues with my family on it and spent many a day on the sandbar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts