Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear from some longtime Ankona native 17 owners about there skiffs. There likes and dislikes with the native 17 and Ankona. Looking to make a new skiff purchase soon and really like this model. Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tons of post on this... but a summary seems to be everyone that has one loves it. There are several people that have them that could "afford" a higher end skiff if they thought the extra cost was justified. I chose the 17 Mitzi over the SUV due to deck size, but I really liked the Ankona SUV as well. Life has enough stresses so I really like the idea of a well constructed "minimalist " skiff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
Would like to hear from some longtime Ankona native 17 owners about there skiffs. There likes and dislikes with the native 17 and Ankona. Looking to make a new skiff purchase soon and really like this model. Thanks.
I have had mine since 2013 so I am into my fourth season. I powered it with a Tohatsu 40 TLDI and have a center console. I don't have a trolling motor so I pole, paddle, drift, and anchor with it. It's a very versatile boat for a variety of waters. Up here in Virginia I fish the tidal rivers of the Chesapeake and inside the Oceanside barrier islands and even took it to the Keys this summer. I am very happy with it. I don't want another skiff even if the $$ landed in hand. Mostly fly fish so I've kept the deck clean. Honestly, no serious complaints about the skiff. The only thing I can mention is if the bow gets too light and your going solo it may porpoise a bit. I usually just slide my cooler toward the bow and that fixes it. Tabs would take care of it too ( I don't have any yet) or keeping the gas tank reasonably full or installing trolling motor battery up front. You may see some posts about bow steer with this model. I experienced it the first time out but never again so I think as with any boat you just have to learn how it handles. It's quite dry riding IMO, runs and fishes plenty shallow enough for me, and handles the chop we get on the bay up here. If I missed anything ask away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had mine since 2013 so I am into my fourth season. I powered it with a Tohatsu 40 TLDI and have a center console. I don't have a trolling motor so I pole, paddle, drift, and anchor with it. It's a very versatile boat for a variety of waters. Up here in Virginia I fish the tidal rivers of the Chesapeake and inside the Oceanside barrier islands and even took it to the Keys this summer. I am very happy with it. I don't want another skiff even if the $$ landed in hand. Mostly fly fish so I've kept the deck clean. Honestly, no serious complaints about the skiff. The only thing I can mention is if the bow gets too light and your going solo it may porpoise a bit. I usually just slide my cooler toward the bow and that fixes it. Tabs would take care of it too ( I don't have any yet) or keeping the gas tank reasonably full or installing trolling motor battery up front. You may see some posts about bow steer with this model. I experienced it the first time out but never again so I think as with any boat you just have to learn how it handles. It's quite dry riding IMO, runs and fishes plenty shallow enough for me, and handles the chop we get on the bay up here. If I missed anything ask away.
Thanks for the reply , what kinda speed you getting out of the 40hp and how do you like the tohatsu? Have you ever measured the load draft on the boat?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
Thanks for the reply , what kinda speed you getting out of the 40hp and how do you like the tohatsu? Have you ever measured the load draft on the boat?
I still have the stock prop and with that prop WOT with just myself is just shy of 35 mph. With two folks or my young kids its 32-33. I usually cruise mid to upper 20s. I'm sure there are other props that would be better for handling tight turns, hole shot, etc. but where I fish it's just not a big deal. The motor has been awesome. Just one irritation--when tilted and if the oil reservoir is too full oil will leak out. Probably a fix for that but it's only been a minor annoyance. I haven't measured any draft numbers but I'll be out again in a week and can report back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have the stock prop and with that prop WOT with just myself is just shy of 35 mph. With two folks or my young kids its 32-33. I usually cruise mid to upper 20s. I'm sure there are other props that would be better for handling tight turns, hole shot, etc. but where I fish it's just not a big deal. The motor has been awesome. Just one irritation--when tilted and if the oil reservoir is too full oil will leak out. Probably a fix for that but it's only been a minor annoyance. I haven't measured any draft numbers but I'll be out again in a week and can report back.
Ok I probably be getting a four stroke 50 hp, I had same problem on my current 115 merc with oil leakage. Top of tank becomes stretched out and doesn't seal tight , quick fix was to put stainless hose clamp around outside of tank neck for support so when you tighten inner plug cap tank can't flex away cause of the hose clamp. Seems to have solved that problem for me not sure it tohatsu tank is similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts