Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better late than never i suppose..... I picked up my Cayenne back in October about a month earlier than expected because there were two people in front of me that cancelled. We got the boat to fish mainly the Sabine Lake area, and Louisiana marsh with my wife and 4 year old son. I placed the initial deposit back on 14 May with an estimated pick up of November. When I moved down to Texas in June I was able to get a ride on a Cayenne in Houston and it was an amazing boat so I was happy with the deposit I made months before lol. The entire build experience was excellent, Erin was always quick to return emails and phone calls, I’m sure I set a record for the number of emails exchanged. I went with the 60 Etec with Icon Pro Tachometer. I added the jack plate with blinker style switch, seadek on poling platform, sissy bar and the continental aluminum trailer with a galv tongue so I can add a hinge if needed later on. My brother and I drove out there from Texas to pick it up on a Monday morning, we took it out on a sea trial with Mel and discovered a small issue with fuel that they quickly resolved. The boat was exactly as we discussed and looked to be in great shape with a pretty good fit and finish. I supplied a Garmin 54CV, Ram Mount, and Power Pole Micro to install. I was surprised to see that the NMEA 2000 fuel level sensor was added to the network which was a nice bonus. The stock Rogue 4 blade 17 pitch prop did a pretty good job but it would cavitate a bit in turns and with the jack plate up all the way. Also I could hit 6000 RPM at 75% throttle with 2 people and gear. I took it to a local prop shop and they added a med heavy cup to it and it is even better now stays hooked up much better and gained a little speed out of it as well, I can make 36MPH pretty consistently with 2 people at WOT which is still making 6000 RPM. The cupping on the prop also got rid of a strange occurrence at WOT where the boat would slide sideways all the sudden freaked me out the first time it happened. I am going to try a 18P 4 blade if i can find one. I have also raised the engine to the top hole on the jack plate giving it an extra 2.5” of height and can still run with it all the way up the engine does start to get “warm” 146deg which is still pretty cold for an engine. I will probably add a cavitation plate at some point. I am very impressed with the trailer, it has 0degree torsion axles and all aluminum and stainless hardware except for the bunk mounts and tongue which are galvanized. I have added liquid rollers to the bunks and can dry launch and dry recover the boat pretty easily. The first time I did it I had the engine down too far which dinged up the prop a little bit lesson learned. I have not really paid attention to draft numbers yet but I would guess 7-8” with 2 people. I have been able to get on plane by my self in a foot of water jack plate all the way up, tabs down a bit, and engine trimmed up a little, it cavities for a second and then it is gone. As far as fuel milage, at 4500 RPM I’m running 26 mph @9.5 mpg which is great. The aft hatches are excellent dry storage as the bow storage and console can get damp because of the doors being vented not bad though. The boat is plenty stable with the three of us on it and I can walk the gunnels fairly easily if I am alone, it does heel over a good bit but manageable. The issues I have found are pretty minimal, some of the gel coat was a little rough on the bottom of the hull in a few places where it wasn’t polished after being pulled from the mold I assume, those were easy fixes, and then a couple of screws were stripped out which happens and is an easy fix as well. Now obviously if you go looking under the gunwales and in the nooks and crannies it isn’t going to be finished like a $60k skiff and that is fine and I knew that going in. These are amazing skiffs for the price mine was a little over $25K which you can not come close to in anything else that I found when I was looking, on top of that it is a small family owned company that is extremely passionate about their skiffs and customers.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Gotta see some pics Big Daddy........... those are the same people that build the Salt Marsh skiffs. I have heard nothing but good reports on them, and I understand that they do build a very good quality skiff. I'll probably run into you at some point, I fish Sabine alot..........when I have a boat, lol!

Reactions: makin moves

·
I Love microskiff.com!
940 Posts
Better late than never i suppose..... I picked up my Cayenne back in October about a month earlier than expected because there were two people in front of me that cancelled. We got the boat to fish mainly the Sabine Lake area, and Louisiana marsh with my wife and 4 year old son. I placed the initial deposit back on 14 May with an estimated pick up of November. When I moved down to Texas in June I was able to get a ride on a Cayenne in Houston and it was an amazing boat so I was happy with the deposit I made months before lol. The entire build experience was excellent, Erin was always quick to return emails and phone calls, I’m sure I set a record for the number of emails exchanged. I went with the 60 Etec with Icon Pro Tachometer. I added the jack plate with blinker style switch, seadek on poling platform, sissy bar and the continental aluminum trailer with a galv tongue so I can add a hinge if needed later on. My brother and I drove out there from Texas to pick it up on a Monday morning, we took it out on a sea trial with Mel and discovered a small issue with fuel that they quickly resolved. The boat was exactly as we discussed and looked to be in great shape with a pretty good fit and finish. I supplied a Garmin 54CV, Ram Mount, and Power Pole Micro to install. I was surprised to see that the NMEA 2000 fuel level sensor was added to the network which was a nice bonus. The stock Rogue 4 blade 17 pitch prop did a pretty good job but it would cavitate a bit in turns and with the jack plate up all the way. Also I could hit 6000 RPM at 75% throttle with 2 people and gear. I took it to a local prop shop and they added a med heavy cup to it and it is even better now stays hooked up much better and gained a little speed out of it as well, I can make 36MPH pretty consistently with 2 people at WOT which is still making 6000 RPM. The cupping on the prop also got rid of a strange occurrence at WOT where the boat would slide sideways all the sudden freaked me out the first time it happened. I am going to try a 18P 4 blade if i can find one. I have also raised the engine to the top hole on the jack plate giving it an extra 2.5” of height and can still run with it all the way up the engine does start to get “warm” 146deg which is still pretty cold for an engine. I will probably add a cavitation plate at some point. I am very impressed with the trailer, it has 0degree torsion axles and all aluminum and stainless hardware except for the bunk mounts and tongue which are galvanized. I have added liquid rollers to the bunks and can dry launch and dry recover the boat pretty easily. The first time I did it I had the engine down too far which dinged up the prop a little bit lesson learned. I have not really paid attention to draft numbers yet but I would guess 7-8” with 2 people. I have been able to get on plane by my self in a foot of water jack plate all the way up, tabs down a bit, and engine trimmed up a little, it cavities for a second and then it is gone. As far as fuel milage, at 4500 RPM I’m running 26 mph @9.5 mpg which is great. The aft hatches are excellent dry storage as the bow storage and console can get damp because of the doors being vented not bad though. The boat is plenty stable with the three of us on it and I can walk the gunnels fairly easily if I am alone, it does heel over a good bit but manageable. The issues I have found are pretty minimal, some of the gel coat was a little rough on the bottom of the hull in a few places where it wasn’t polished after being pulled from the mold I assume, those were easy fixes, and then a couple of screws were stripped out which happens and is an easy fix as well. Now obviously if you go looking under the gunwales and in the nooks and crannies it isn’t going to be finished like a $60k skiff and that is fine and I knew that going in. These are amazing skiffs for the price mine was a little over $25K which you can not come close to in anything else that I found when I was looking, on top of that it is a small family owned company that is extremely passionate about their skiffs and customers.
I know exactly what you mean about it sliding sideways!
Freaked me out too
Wot without trim tabs it was a little scary

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the review. I looked pretty heavy at these when I was shopping last month. Really good looking boat. Wasn't a big fan of the ride and wetness though, so I ended up with the salt marsh heron and really like it. I will say that I have talked to Rose and Mel a few different times now with questions or concerns on multiple boats and always got a quick and helpful answer. Top notch people to deal with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50BB57C8-38AB-433F-98C4-23B64F68E330.jpeg
9A278DFC-9AED-487C-93EF-1AA0583FC4E1.jpeg
Gotta see some pics Big Daddy........... those are the same people that build the Salt Marsh skiffs. I have heard nothing but good reports on them, and I understand that they do build a very good quality skiff. I'll probably run into you at some point, I fish Sabine alot..........when I have a boat, lol!
I fish Keith Lake after work mostly since I work down in Sabine Pass. There are quite a few skiffs down there usually.

·
Registered
195 Posts
F0F90EE1-AB95-4635-ADD7-9EEB1977C245.jpeg
I’ve had mine for 3 months now and the slide can definitely be sketch at full throttle but it is a great skiff overall. I get 37mph WOT but a 4 blade is my next project. I was coming from a Gheenoe when I bought the cayenne and was worried about draft with this being my first center console skiff but if your smart about it this thing drafts plenty shallow I always pole from the bow when by myself which helps. Definitely fuel efficient it always surprises me when filling it up, which is my only real complaint about this skiff is it’s a pain to fill with the epa valve that’s inside which makes you fuel very slow

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I
I work in Nederland and fish the area after work often as well. Say hi next time you see a center console Sabine, it’ll be either myself or @blittle
Will do, I met Brian at the fishing show a while back very impressed with the skiffs he is making., very hard to beat aluminum. Pretty sure i was just infront of you getting on 69 going south around 4:45 this afternoon small world.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like the boat, should do the trick!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m pretty sure that was you dry launching at Keith lake one morning. I was in white Mitzi that came over to check it out. Good looking skiff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts