Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
***Sorry this is a bit long winded but there are some pictures at the end from the trip. I wanted to be as thorough as I could with my experience so far. I will be posting a bunch of detailed pictures of the skiff soon too.***

Alright so I am sure some of you saw her on IG and Facepage already but we picked up our Advent friday. We left out of Upstate SC at 1am on friday morning, picked up our push pole and stick-it anchor in Orlando at 10am and then made it to Vero in time for lunch and a few last minute purchases from West Marine. We unpacked at our AirBNB and then headed to Ft. Pierce to pick her up. Rory was there and stayed late to walk us through all the details and functions of everything. I only dealt with Him, Erin, and got to meet Mel at the boat show. I can't say enough good things about them and the build experience. Truly a pleasure to work with.

We could not be happier. She is everything we had hoped and more. We headed straight to the Sebastian ramp and launched friday evening after pickup. Got to the 2 hour mark on the Tohatsu and were able to get some higher rpm runs.

I don't have much experience with other skiffs aside from a Gheenoe LT25. I can't really compare the advent to any other skiffs but I can tell you what my experience has been thus far running in various conditions and loads.

First off if you are moving up from a gheenoe, there is absolutely no comparison IMO.

The first time we approached a wake my wife and I did the standard butt pucker and wince only to be extremely surprised when we didn't slam the water like expected. Now that's not to say that you can hit any chop or wake wide open, but you can not get beat up during normal operation like a gheenoe will do to you.

The river generally stays pretty calm but one afternoon the wind picked up and i got to test her out with a 1-1.5' chop. Trim tabs and appropriate speed are everything. Like any skiff this size, if you hit an errant wake or wave with some speed and the wind is blowing, you're gonna get wet. We did this a few times. Somewhere around the 25 mph range and trim tabs adjusted correctly will keep the spray down and out away though. Once i figured out how to tune her right we stayed completely dry.

She poles like a dream. I had just gotten used to poling the gheenoe when we sold it and for the most part it was easy. It was light enough that it was just easy to push around, but tracked like shit and in any wind we just ended up defeated.

The Advent tracks perfectly and does really well in wind too. She turns on a dime and is dead silent. We did get a trolling motor and are very glad that we did. 90% of the time I'll have a fly rod in my hand on the bow, but sometimes its nice to sling a yo-zuri up under the mangroves or in front of an oyster bed.

The Float-On trailer is extremely nice and well made. I know I have seen a few others with some issues with them but I think they have gotten the setup figured out at this point. No rubbing anywhere. I backed up until the water was just under the hubs and with a little lift of the bow she slid off perfectly. Retrieving went just as smoothly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
60 Posts
Outstanding, Thank you for the write up! I'm only one month into the wait and I can't stand it. I'm glad to hear so many people are happy with their purchase. It gives me a reassured feeling about the whole process! Congrats and enjoy her!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Glad to hear you're happy with everything. I'm on that year wait for the Heron 16..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Outstanding, Thank you for the write up! I'm only one month into the wait and I can't stand it. I'm glad to hear so many people happy with their purchase. It gives me a reassured feeling about the whole thing process! Congrats and enjoy her!
Thanks for the write up. Glad to hear you're happy with everything. I'm on that year wait for the Heron 16..
Thanks guys, I feel for you and the wait. It sucks, but is 100% worth it. We originally put a deposit down for a Cayenne and then changed to the Advent after talking to Mel. Started the process November/December last year so it was a little over 7 months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How big are the rear hatches? I like the look of the advent but just curious if the hatch design limits the space inside of them? Thank you and it is a gorgeous boat Forsure

·
Registered
278 Posts
How big are the rear hatches? I like the look of the advent but just curious if the hatch design limits the space inside of them? Thank you and it is a gorgeous boat Forsure
If you make a search for Ankona Advent on here, you'll see a discussion about that very thing. One of this site members had his Advent livewell enlarged.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congratulations on your beautiful new Advent and thank you for taking the time and effort to post a review. When able please post more pictures.

And if your boat weren’t good looking enough, your beautiful wife makes it look even better!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Alright, as promised, here are some pictures. If you'd like to see anything not here let me know. I'd be happy to share measurements and such.

Also: So far, performance has been great with the 50. With 2 people, Yeti 35 full of ice drinks and snacks, 2 fly rods and 2 spinning rods, full tank of fuel, 2 batteries, and some other random stuff she will do 36mph. I rode solo back to the ramp when we left Sebastian and saw 38.5 mph. Very happy with that. Once you get her trimmed out and running on the pad she is so damn smooth.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
60 Posts
Great looking skiff! Thanks again for the pics. Seeing yours only makes the wait more difficult! Now that you've ran it a few times, is there anything you wished you would've added to it? I'm still on the fence about a power-pole micro. When you get a chance, could you take a pic of the starboard side of the console?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Great looking skiff! Thanks again for the pics. Seeing yours only makes the wait more difficult! Now that you've ran it a few times, is there anything you wished you would've added to it? I'm still on the fence about a power-pole micro. When you get a chance, could you take a pic of the starboard side of the console?
I decided against rod holders on the Poling platform. I should have just gotten them. I will most likely add some quality clamp on ones soon. Other than that nothing I would change at this point. Ill get a picture of the console this evening. Do you want the actual side of the console or just the starboard side of the top of it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm nitpicking a little bit here, but 2 things I don't like and am confused by are 1. the door on the side of the console. I understand why, but that's just not a very clean look IMO. 2. What's the reasoning behind the 45 degree rear hatch placement? Also, it looks like they can't be accessed without moving the seat pad. Otherwise that's a great looking boat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm nitpicking a little bit here, but 2 things I don't like and am confused by are 1. the door on the side of the console. I understand why, but that's just not a very clean look IMO. 2. What's the reasoning behind the 45 degree rear hatch placement? Also, it looks like they can't be accessed without moving the seat pad. Otherwise that's a great looking boat.
I personally don't think the door on the side of the console is not clean. That's my opinion though. I guess maybe they could have put it on the front or rear. I put my keys and wallet and stuff in there and it's in a very convenient location for access from the helm.

The angled rear hatches allow you to open and access them while the boat is on the trailer. I don't have either of mine set up as a bait, or live well, but I do use one as a cooler and being able to pop the plug when it's on the trailer is convenient.

You are correct, gotta flip the cushion to access the hatches. It's admittedly a pain. The cushion is not a standard item and and is an additional option. I also would like a backrest. Im toying with fabricating something as a solution for this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could maybe do a center mount right in between the 2 hatches. With only a center point for stability, you'd have to beef it up a little, but it should look good if you can get it right.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I personally like this stadium seat option (courtesy of Jon Miller). I'm planning on doing something similar, and creating a spot for it to stow under my poling platform when not in use.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I personally like this stadium seat option (courtesy of Jon Miller). I'm planning on doing something similar, and creating a spot for it to stow under my poling platform when not in use.
So this is also something we have talked about. There are various options for these style seats. What is the frame made of on this one? Do you put some sort of padding under it? West Marine has some nice looking padded ones.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's not a bad option, but I think I would prefer something hard mounted that looks like it was fabricated for the specific boat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So this is also something we have talked about. There are various options for these style seats. What is the frame made of on this one? Do you put some sort of padding under it? West Marine has some nice looking padded ones.
Some have rubber pads on the bottom, but if they don't, that's something you can easily add to the chair yourself. I'm guessing most are built from painted steel, but if you are able to rinse with fresh water, I'd imagine you get a good amount of use out of one before needing to be replaced. The sun will proby kill the fabric too so.. it's gonna be a disposable piece one way or another.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts