Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Anguilla late this summer. Has anyone had success finding a guide or DIY down there for fly fishing? Found a few offshore guys but no one for bones, permit, tarpon, etc. Very limited info for that island.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not Anguilla, but fished St Martin 15 years ago and caught one of my larger bonefish wading solo fish was easily 11-12lbs. I remember seeing a ton of tarpon in the 30-50lb range, snook, fished offshore for mahi as well. Anguilla just a lil north. The flat I fished was in land and very soft saw 2 bones hooked and landed the one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went to St-Martin 20 years ago to visit a friend for a week. Several things hit me right away about the place. The women are perhaps the most beautiful I have ever seen. There is something magical about drinking there, you never get hungover. The food is absolutely amazing and I loved the overall atmosphere of the place.
I would love to go back and fish the place.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
1,992 Posts
Did my honeymoon on St.Martin and saw bonefish all over the place, 21 years ago. Anguilla has some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere - they are simply spectacular -but the island itself is an absolute ghetto (or was 21 years ago). Only the resorts and closed access beaches are nice. We feared for our lives crossing the interior. Also did not see bonefish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Again going back 15 years, and having worked and operated business’ in some bad neighborhoods in Philadelphia, Balt and NJ can’t imagine Anguilla being bad, but nobody seems to target fish there, but if there are bonefish and tarpon in St Martin they should be there as well IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds similar to Turks and Caicos. Resort areas were beautiful, rest of the island was sketchy at best. Rented a beautiful house that looked like it had been broken into with a crowbar numerous times on the back door. Slept with one eye open first few nights. (This was before the Haitian problem was in full swing)

Did manage to catch a good mess of bones though!

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
I've been to Sint Maarten (Dutch side of St Martin), about 5yrs ago. Wife and I went up to the north east side, rented yaks and did our own thing. Small bones and lots of permit (fun on fly but small, around 3-5lbs), a variety of snapper, small cudas and triggers. There's a beach that holds lots of palmettos (smaller cousin of the permit). I didn't have time to hit it, but they are on my bucket list on fly. Next time I go there, I'm going to try to cross them off my list! ;)

Ted-Haas-Permit-2.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts