Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PFTarpon_Book_3D_M.png

If any of you have ever seen tarpon expert Andy Mill's book, "A Passion For Tarpon", you know it's a "must have" for your fishing bookshelf. I first saw a copy at El Pescador in Belize and wanted a copy ever since.

Looking online, at sites such as Amazon, quickly changed my mind as prices run the gamut from about $700 to over $1,200. Oddly enough, the book is not out of print as many people say. I bought a copy directly from the publisher, Wild River Publishing, for $100.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Andy was up here as a guest at LL Bean probably around 5 years ago. Obviously, a very intense individual, but I found him very down-to-earth as well....just a pleasure to talk with. Being "cheap", I didnt pick up one of these signed books that day....I regret that one! You're right....its a special book.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Andy was up here as a guest at LL Bean probably around 5 years ago. Obviously, a very intense individual, but I found him very down-to-earth as well....just a pleasure to talk with. Being "cheap", I didnt pick up one of these signed books that day....I regret that one! You're right....its a special book.
Your right! Andy is a great guy to talk to, just in general and about the sport. He also loves to teach people and he's personally taught me things about it, one on one, that I never knew.

The thing that separates him from the rest is not just a passion for the sport, but his particular passion and obsession for the pursuit of a fish that he truly loves and the love of the art of subduing it with a fly rod. He's definitely earned his rank as one of the top "tarpon fly fishing" icons.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
He gave an interview not too long ago where he talks about how much money he's spent on Tarpon guides. It makes head hurt.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
what about the Rob Fordyce book? I am looking for that one as well- $80+ for a paper back on amazon.....
Buy it! Rob does a great job being very technical about when, how and where to lay out your cast. He gave me one as soon as he released it and it said more stuff to people than I had to explain to them, in order to understand the entire process. If Andy is one of the top tarpon on fly icons out there, Rob is the King of Tarpon on Fly. He is the machine that makes it happen. That is a fact!

Here's Rob with a client I referred to him. At the time, Rob was guiding Flamingo and Florida Bay and I wasn't. He got em on the poons and a huge snook on fly too. That was back in the days when we didn't know any better about picking up fish for a pic. That was about 120lbs and he was strong enough to hoist them up even back then. Today he's a solid block of concrete with years worth of weight training.
Big Bad Poon with Rob Fordyce - 800dpi.jpg

Circa 1998

·
Registered
116 Posts
Buy it! Rob does a great job being very technical about when, how and where to lay out your cast. He gave me one as soon as he released it and it said more stuff to people than I had to explain to them, in order to understand the entire process. If Andy is one of the top tarpon on fly icons out there, Rob is the King of Tarpon on Fly. He is the machine that makes it happen. That is a fact!

Here's Rob with a client I referred to him. At the time, Rob was guiding Flamingo and Florida Bay and I wasn't. He got em on the poons and a huge snook on fly too. That was back in the days when we didn't know any better about picking up fish for a pic. That was about 120lbs and he was strong enough to hoist them up even back then. Today he's a solid block of concrete with years worth of weight training.
View attachment 62880
Circa 1998

Backwater, a friend of mine and I had the pleasure of meeting Rob a few weeks ago for a podcast we recorded with him. He was one of the coolest guys I've ever met. He is an intense, technical guy, and you can tell that goes into his tarpon fishing. Wish I had a copy of his book at the time, I would have gotten him to sign it. We have some mutual friends, so im sure there might be more opportunities. Can't wait to read it over and over and over and over and over.....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts
He gave an interview not too long ago where he talks about how much money he's spent on Tarpon guides. It makes head hurt.
I think I heard the same interview. Wasn't it April Vokey's podcast and he said he's spent in excess of a million bucks over about 25-30 years chasing tarpon? It was pretty crazy- I want to say it averaged to about $30K per year on guide fees for poon alone.

My wife bought me a copy of "A Passion for Tarpon" a couple years ago. It's amazing. I also have Bill Bishop's book, "High Rollers" and it's been tremendously helpful too.

And this past Christmas my parents bought me a first edition of this book by Ted Williams. It's not really a how-to anymore but it's still pretty cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
scratch that, I just looked up the publisher.

if yall are interested: http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merch...Product_Code=9781571882707_TOF&Category_Code=
I ordered because of this thread and it sounds like quite a few of you did. Just got a call from Amato. They don't have the book in stock. They noticed the recent uptick in demand, and they're trying to figure out what they can do. An eBook/Kindle version may be an option. The woman I spoke with said she'd keep me updated.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
It’s weak
What do you mean by weak? I found a copy for cheap but haven't gotten to read it yet. I know it's a little older, so I'm expecting some of the material to be kind of dated, but was hoping it would help as far as figuring out when/where to cast in different scenarios.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
719 Posts
My copy showed up today, with a complementary copy of "Tying Steelhead Flies With Style". I guess I'll put it on my shelf of fishing books...I might even unwrap it so people think I've read it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts