Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of anchor are you guys using when fishing tarpon on anchor in the surf zone? I get the quick release rig, I'm curious about what type of anchor gives a good balance between hold, and retreivability.

·
Registered
44 Posts
http://www.reelcharterfishing.com/seaclaw.html

^^This anchor (I have the 12lb for a heavy 22' bay boat) with shackle and 40' 3/8" anchor line, no chain, large float (highly visible), 15' double over bungee attached to size 02 quick release snap shackle. I tie a long piece of paracord to the release pin with a small float on the end. I just pull that cord and then off fighting the fish. Gamechanger for solo beach poonin

·
Registered
2021 Hell’s Bay Marquesa being built, 2013 Hell’s Bay Marquesa sold, 2017 Ankona Shadowcast 18
114 Posts
Fortress marine G5 it’s small and light (2.5lbs) no chain digs right into sand on the beach and super easy to retrieve. Keeps my Marquesa in place never fails even in an afternoon sea breeze. About $50 so not a budget buster. You can pull it in fast drift to a spot and toss it ahead to move a sort distance to get on the Tarpon line that was just out of reach.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

^^This anchor (I have the 12lb for a heavy 22' bay boat) with shackle and 40' 3/8" anchor line, no chain, large float (highly visible), 15' double over bungee attached to size 02 quick release snap shackle. I tie a long piece of paracord to the release pin with a small float on the end. I just pull that cord and then off fighting the fish. Gamechanger for solo beach poonin
Do you think 12# would be necesarry for an 18 waterman, or would an 8# hold?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you think 12# would be necesarry for an 18 waterman, or would an 8# hold?
I think the 8 would be perfectly fine. I've not ever had the 12lb lose hold with my 3000lb setup. I'm typically anchoring in 4 to 10' of water a few hundred yards off the beach, where it's more common than not to be windy and rough as hell.

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
I had a SeaClaw bronze when I owned my heavier Bayshore 20 flats boat and it held well due to weight and design. Switched to a Guardian (economy version of the Fortress) G-7 aluminum for the Mosquito, which is similar to your skiff. I had a short piece of stainless steel chain that I added to the shackle and threaded on a Mooring snubber in-line. The G-7 sticks quickly and holds in the roughest of afternoon sea breezes. Easy to retrieve, too, and compact/lightweight. But the snubber is really useful in eliminating the wave shock regardless of which anchor you choose to go with.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a claw with a couple feet of chain, about 15-18’ of rope and a piece of heavy bungee doubled over and attached to a quick release. I have a piece of 550 cord tied to the quick releas where the guy on the bow can pop it off the anchor. I forgot there’s a float ball on it too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had a SeaClaw bronze when I owned my heavier Bayshore 20 flats boat and it held well due to weight and design. Switched to a Guardian (economy version of the Fortress) G-7 aluminum for the Mosquito, which is similar to your skiff. I had a short piece of stainless steel chain that I added to the shackle and threaded on a Mooring snubber in-line. The G-7 sticks quickly and holds in the roughest of afternoon sea breezes. Easy to retrieve, too, and compact/lightweight. But the snubber is really useful in eliminating the wave shock regardless of which anchor you choose to go with.
I use that Guardian also. I wish I’d had one for the bass boat!

·
Registered
184 Posts

that’s the original. The other site linked is a copy cat. I have two, one on my 18 Hewes and one on my 24 Everglades. When it hits bottom, you are hooked. For deep water I use a cheap Lexmark plow.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
What kind of anchor are you guys using when fishing tarpon on anchor in the surf zone? I get the quick release rig, I'm curious about what type of anchor gives a good balance between hold, and retreivability.
What size is your boat with what power and normal number of people? How is the current where you set up? Water depth? Bottom type? What's your anchor storage like and what do you currently use on your bow? Are you looking for a 2nd anchor you bring only for that setup?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts