Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back someone on here posted about a bag to store a skiff anchor. It was padded and formed to fit, but $125, if I remember correctly. I wasn't happy with the towel or shower mat I had been using to stow my own (Guardian aluminum with stainless chain, snubber, float and short rode). I only use it during tarpon season, but didn't want to shell out that much for a bag. Someone mentioned neoprene in the post, so I searched on eBay and found several gently-used shorty dive suits that were very reasonable. Bought one from a seller here in Florida for $20 and just took it to my upholstery guy to have it modified.

He cut the arms back and legs off and sewed the seams together with nylon reinforcement for $15. The anchor nestles into the vest with room for the rode, float and chain.

This may not look quite as fancy as the pre-formed version, but it'll do the job nicely for $35 and the money saved will buy plenty of non-ethanol gas, some new plugs or other tackle.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Passion + lack of resources = innovation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Love it! Any chance you could post a pic of your anchor setup? I don't current have/carry an anchor but been thinking it would be nice to have one available. Thanks

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Will take some pix of my set-up later this week after Sally blows through. Basically it's the smallest Guardian aluminum anchor and I added about 15 inches of stainless steel chain I had on hand, connected with a shackle. Added a mooring snubber and float to a 25-foot dock line with eye splice. The snubber absorbs wave shock while on the hook and the eye splice goes through my recessed bow cleat for quick release. The anchor keeps the line afloat if I have to toss it to chase a hot fish.

As noted in another thread by iMacattack, I only anchor in sand and usually in about 6 to 8 feet at most. So this works well for my purposes, is light and won't get hung up on the bottom.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,611 Posts
Great idea -- I have been thinking about the same thing and came across neoprene beach bags that look like they would work, although I think I like the wetsuit idea better!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Will take some pix of my set-up later this week after Sally blows through. Basically it's the smallest Guardian aluminum anchor and I added about 15 inches of stainless steel chain I had on hand, connected with a shackle. Added a mooring snubber and float to a 25-foot dock line with eye splice. The snubber absorbs wave shock while on the hook and the eye splice goes through my recessed bow cleat for quick release. The anchor keeps the line afloat if I have to toss it to chase a hot fish.

As noted in another thread by iMacattack, I only anchor in sand and usually in about 6 to 8 feet at most. So this works well for my purposes, is light and won't get hung up on the bottom.
Thanks, sounds like a great setup!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not a lack of resources, just cheap. :D As my wife the bookkeeper can attest, I'm not shy about spending money on skiff accessories or tackle.
I heard that!

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,539 Posts
Cool idea.

Are you concerned that putting a wet line in there and zipping it up will create a mold stew?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be a issue over time. But I only plan to zip it up in transit. I rinse it with fresh water after a trip and then let it dry in the boat shed. Same with my drift sock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts