Amelia Island

Discussion in 'Florida East Coast' started by Tarpon Nole, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Tarpon Nole

Tarpon Nole Active Member

Hello everyone-

I am staying on Amelia island July 13-17, and was considering bringing a fly rod. I wouldn't be bringing the boat, so it would be on foot. I am really interested in fishing the flood tide. how high of a high tide do you need? I have done a littler research on spots, and even though they seem to be well known, I won't post them here (it is a creek south of Amelia)

is it even worth attempting that week? if not, is there are other wading opportunities? I am from Tampa, so I have no experience fishing the marsh/creeks

thanks

2. twshaw1103

twshaw1103 I Love microskiff.com!

Those dates don't offer flood tides unless you have some strong winds from the NE or ENE. Your best tides are on the 16th and 17th. Usually (the creek south of Amelia) needs at least a 5.3 to flood. You might want to check it out anyway. You never know what the wind will bring and it's a fun place to explore.

3. Tarpon Nole

Thanks. I will probably bring it and some wading boots and do some exploring

I know black fly is in Jax, anything on the island or closer? Or is BF worth the stop on the way up?

4. JaxLaxFish

JaxLaxFish I Love microskiff.com!

There is a shop in fernandina but the staff is not very knowledgeable. I would stop at Black Fly. As stated above, you most likely won't be seeing a flood tide. Ask them about fishing little talbot island. Feel free to PM me closer to time and I'll let you know if conditions are favorable for an unpredicted flood.

5. FSUDrew99

FSUDrew99 Well-Known Member

If you are fishing in that area I wouldn't go out of my way to fish a flood unless your around 5.6' and higher....

6. Tarpon Nole

So I guess that is my question - if there is not a flood tide, is it worth bringing a fly rod? Are there other wading opportunities available without a boat?

7. FSUDrew99

Honestly, no just because you wont be able to wade around the creeks to cast at low tide fish... you will sink to your crotch up here in pluff mud. Its not hard sand bottom like some other areas in FL.

Check a tide table and if it is 5.5-5.6 and up then go for it.

8. Tarpon Nole

Looks like I am going to miss it by a few days. 5.3 is highest the days I am there. Will be 6 later that week after I am gone

Thanks

9. FSUDrew99

You can bring it just in case.... you MIGHT be able to get to some flooded areas by foot if the ground and grass is low enough and all the wind/pressure works out in your favor.

PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

10. Tarpon Nole

Thanks. I'll shoot you a pm when it gets closer and have a better idea of what the weather looks like

11. eightwt

eightwt Active Member

How about the beach? Anything worth pursuing?

12. Scrob

Scrob Well-Known Member

You'll be close to Little Talbot Island SP which has nice beach to fish with a fly. Park and walk north on the beach to the point at low tide. As the tide comes in, reds (and sharks) will cruise through the troughs and you can get them. Also, whiting will be off the beach and may take a clouser fly. Up here our mud pretty much prevents wading in the marsh.

13. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

^^this^^ is probably your best bet. It is a little of a walk though and make sure you time the tide correctly.