Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Ambergris Caye at the end of month. I am looking to book a fishing trip while I am down there. My wife will be on the trip as well, so I want to make sure we have some fun. Does anyone have a suggestion for a fly and light tackle guide? I know there are a ton of permit and bones down there, and I honestly just want to go out and have some fun catching fish. Since I am going with my wife, I don't really want to make the trip about me achieving a goal of catching a certain fish on the fly. A permit on crab is fine by me. I will be doing some DIY wade fishing bones too on the trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following as well.
Tentatively I have a similar trip planned for June and was looking for something similar as my other half does not fly fish but will fish gear.
If cost is an issue, Captain Morgan’s has a full day fishing for two for $400 plus tax. (gear and fly).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Kenan Cok @ chasing tail charters. IF he is available he will pick you up in front of where you are staying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went down there on my honeymoon and the new wife was a trooper and spent a day on a charter with a local guide. She had a good time but got fried by the sun. All the big dog charters were still out of commission due to covid. Oceanside diy is super doable and once I figured it out, caught more/bigger bones than I did on the charter by far. Granted, it was a ghost town as we were some of the first tourists to visit since they had locked down the island. If I were to do it again, I would specifically target permit on whatever charter days I had and do all my bonefishing diy. We made friends with a guy named Carlos that made the trip for us. He took us out on a couple of fun trips and had an awesome time on the water doing everything from conch diving, lobstering, spearfishing, sightseeing, fishing, swimming with the nurse sharks, and cooked what we caught on a secluded island. Carlos is super knowledgable, friendly, energetic and just a great all around dude. 10/10 would recommend linking up with him for a good time. Also, make sure to bring a little extra cash with you for tips. Not that it's required as they are super humble and grateful down there, but their economy is REALLY hurting and a couple extra bucks here and there will make a huge difference in supporting the locals! I'll try and include a couple pics from our trip in October. PM if you want Carlos's phone number!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used GoFish Belize on several trips and never been disappointed. Be sure to have dinner at Elvi's Kitchen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I will go check these out.

@DBStoots Looks like they are having sargassum issues down there. I naively was not aware that this is even an issue. We ended booking an Airbnb because it was so cheap, but I am tempted to cancel and get a resort that has the floats to keep it off the beach. It would stink to have the wind blow the wrong way for a few days and all that stuff out front for half my trip. Now if I could catch baby Mahi from under it while wading then I wouldn't mind, ha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts