Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
So first and foremost, I have to say my skiff (2005 Maverick HPX-V 17) is in great shape, particularly for its age. I’m very meticulous so it shows.

That being said, I find myself wanting to restore it and got on the books at the Skiff Shop. The work there just blows my mind, but we all know it’s big big money. Looking to do a full restoration of the gelcoat and running surface (repairing cracks, scratches, chips, and any blemishes) inside and out, new non-skid, delete the flip up push pole holders and add modern ones, delete the flip up nav light and add Livorsis, completely restore the hatches, seals, and hardware, new plumbing, full rewire, new console hatch and custom switch panel. The whole ordeal. And obviously confirm structural integrity and fuel system. It’s going to be almost as much as I have in the skiff $$ wise. Motor is a 2019 with around 500 hours (was a well cared for guide boat before I got it…I barely put 50-100/year on a boat). Just put on new electronics and trolling motor in the last year.

My friends and wife think I’m crazy and should just leave as is or buy a new skiff…but I’m kind of attached to this thing. Am I crazy? Any thoughts or suggestions?
I think that I would restore it! It’s shameful that we are such a disposable society! Sounds like a skiff that suits your needs and it’s obviously one that you really enjoy!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you are like me and are bothered by worn non-skid, scratches, old console holes, etc then I think you will be happy with the restoration and it will be "worth it". Keep in mind that the rigging on a skiff is simple as can be, you can save a fair amount by disassembling it yourself and delivering them a bare hull to do the glass work, then re-rigging it and wiring it yourself. The skiff shop's clean wiring can be replicated by most anyone who is patient and has a basic knowledge of DC circuitry.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The skiff shop's clean wiring can be replicated by most anyone WHO HAS THE PATIENCE OF JOBE, ARMS OF A 6’ TALL 11 YO, THE DEXTERITY OF AN ASIAN CONTORTIONIST, and has a basic knowledge of DC circuitry.
Fixed it…this is something I’d definitely pay for.

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
947 Posts
Fixed it…this is something I’d definitely pay for.
100% my old fat arse struggles contorting into the rear locker to run wire to the tabs, power pole and jack plate pumps.

·
will pole for food
1,053 Posts
Did these older Mavericks have fiberglass fuel tanks?

PM @EvanHammer I believe he had to replace a fuel tank and fuel lines on his old Maverick HPX-T

Post #27

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,989 Posts
Did these older Mavericks have fiberglass fuel tanks?

PM @EvanHammer I believe he had to replace a fuel tank and fuel lines on his old Maverick HPX-T

Post #27
Maybe pre 2000 but mine is aluminum and so is every other Maverick I’ve seen.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Restore it. We just did a tank replacement and total rewire of a 1999 Maverick Mirage II. We love that boat. My dad bought it new 23 years ago and he has no plans to get rid of it, ever. First engine blew up at 3500 hours. Second engine will be on it until it blows up as well. If you have a boat you like, keep it. New skiff prices are stupid and not necessarily better. There is a reason a lot of guides in FL still fish out of old super skiffs and stuff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
44 Posts
I’ve done already exactly what you’re talking about doing I’m $65,000 into this boat up to you if you want to do it or not

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I’ve done already exactly what you’re talking about doing I’m $65,000 into this boat up to you if you want to do it or not
I saw this restoration a while back. Absolutely amazing!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts