Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
you already knew what you are going to do when you posted this. you also already know you won't have this skiff for more than a few years. you have a track record. just sayin..
This one made me laugh. You ain’t wrong. I really do plan to keep this one, though. My favorite skiff to date. But like I said…we all know how plans go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Go for it! I will be restoring my 2000 Maverick in the next couple of years. The tank in mine is original and no issues at all so either I got a good one or am just lucky. It was made by TNT Fabrication in Florida, yours is 5 years older so Maverick may have been using the same tank fabricator.
yep same tank manufacturer. I don’t think mine is original, though. Could be wrong!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Prices on new skiffs are only going up. Hell, decked out Chittums are over 120k now - remember us balking at 90k a few years ago?

I say do the restore, but take the time to design it the way you want. I did a restore on my Kenner center console (linked in my sig), and my thought is one day I'll find a Pro side console and a Gladeskiff that both need a restore. That way, I can bring them back to life the way I want it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You know I restored my cc because only 75 were made and it is superb at what it is intended for. Everytime I take it out people ask me about it and are impressed with the skiff. While I could not buy a new one if I could it would be 50k or more. I paid 18k for it and after using it for 12 years another 12k replacing all stringers, transom foam, electronics, changed tank from aluminum to poly and refinished. I was lucky because ot was done by a mastercraftsman who was a student of mine 20 years earlier. Absolutely restore it.

·
Registered
Fin and Feather 16
103 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but another shop option would be Mike's Marine Ways in St. Marks, FL. Mike and his crew have done a few jobs for me (and many others in the Big Bend) and the work is top notch. Mike also restored a Maverick for personal use, so he knows the brand.
Was that Mike senior or junior who did the work?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check out more shops before you make a decision….there is a sea of talented individuals in Florida that can deliver a better than new boat.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Check out more shops before you make a decision….there is a sea of talented individuals in Florida that can deliver a better than new boat.
Yes currently in the process. Funny enough, I’ve had at least one other shop just tell me to keep my spot at the Skiff Shop. I’m currently talking with Brad Collett and Glasser, too.

I’m just stuck on how reputable and good the Skiff Shop is. I know without a doubt I’ll pick it up and be happy with it you know?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Had my dad's 77 Bonefisher gone through just for nostalgia reasons. Had them check the foam. Figured it might be waterlogged after forty years. It was not waterlogged because it was not there. You aren't likely to find it missing but make sure it's not waterlogged. I'm sure others can speak with more expertise on the subject.

Gave me the shivers a little when I thought about taking that thing offshore with my buddy from Melbourne Beach on the way home to Texas from picking it up from Opa Locka in 77. Did catch a kingfish though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’ll cast a vote for the rebuild.
Perhaps it’s a gamble if you plan to sell it in a few years- you’ll be upside down (unless the market keeps being insane).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 Xplor X18P
631 Posts
A new Maverick is around $80K with no electronics or trolling motor. Any new high end skiff right now is pushing $70-$80K. Part of my motivation. I’ve also had multiple reputable restoration guys tell me the older ones are built better than the new ones.

My motor is a 2019 Yamaha 115 SHO
Many told me I was crazy when I restored my ‘79 Banana River Skiff. It was financially a wash as I sold it for what I had in it plus a few thousand. My case was unique it usually not a good financial move. However, new skiff prices right now are irrational and out of touch for most buyers IMHO.

Restoring my skiff was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. I kept the boat for 11 years total and don’t regret it at all. New boats are great and the technology is always a plus but if what you have performs well for your intended style of fishing…go for it and make it customized for your vision.

Good luck!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
284 Posts
I say go for it if you plan on keeping it a while. I would rather have your year HPX than a new one made by Malibu boats. Plus the Skiff Shop's rigging/wiring and general restoration work is going to be better than what's being pumped out at the Maverick shop these days.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I’m an old/restored boat and new motor fan when it comes down to it. That said, I plan to keep my 90 2s as long as I can and would consider a 2nd to have handy (I would buy a new one tho!). I don’t expect to ever have the means to order a new boat exactly the way I want it, but I do expect to re-do my Guide someday with personal touches.

I’m also in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it camp”

21 - 40 of 52 Posts